Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

FWD fuse, in or out?

Thread: FWD fuse, in or out?

JimTurner

Default FWD fuse, in or out?

There is a fuse under the hood for FWD. If its in the FWD light on the instrument panel is on. I had the transmission repaired and the mechanic told me to leave it in, that the the xmission would automatically switch to AWD in adverse conditions (stuck in mud, etc). Is this correct?

What year and model?
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

JimTurner

1996 legacy outback

Quote Originally Posted by JimTurner View Post
    1996 legacy outback
    Assuming you don't have the owner's manual, that sounds normally correct for a Suby of this vintage. Normally FWD but it sure won't switch into AWD if the fuse is pulled.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

barmato

I used to have a 1996 Legacy L sedan and I'm almost positive with the fuse in the car is front wheel drive only. With the fuse removed it's all wheel drive. The easy way to tell is a light comes on the dash that says "FWD" when it's in front wheel drive. I also have a 2002 Legacy and I'm positive the 2002 works the way I described.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by barmato View Post
    I used to have a 1996 Legacy L sedan and I'm almost positive with the fuse in the car is front wheel drive only. With the fuse removed it's all wheel drive. The easy way to tell is a light comes on the dash that says "FWD" when it's in front wheel drive. I also have a 2002 Legacy and I'm positive the 2002 works the way I described.

Ben
    But the question is then, with the fuse IN does it automatically shift drive modes AWD <---> FWD, and with the fuse out are you stuck in AWD-only?

You can download the owners manual and service manual here:

http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/auto...t-tsb-pdf.html
    Retired USN

barmato

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    But the question is then, with the fuse IN does it automatically shift drive modes AWD <---> FWD, and with the fuse out are you stuck in AWD-only?

You can download the owners manual and service manual here:

http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/auto...t-tsb-pdf.html
    No, with the fuse in it's FWD all the time, period (at least on my 1996 legacy, not sure about the 2002). I know this because I remember it was pretty easy to spin the front wheels with the fuse in. It doesn't switch into AWD. The purpose of the fuse is to disable the AWD to prevent damage to the transfer case in case you need to put on the spare tire (which may be a slightly different diameter than the other tires).

Ben

Yeah the fuse is to eliminate the AWD for diagnostics purposes and like barmato says, for using the spare tire of a smaller diameter. If the fuse is in you will have only front wheel drive. With the fues out the system will operate normally. The tranny has two sensors, one for the front diff and one for the rear, when the TCM see's a differance between the two, it engages the transfer clutch and that is when the AWD kicks in to 50 50 front and rear.

eppoh

So, would leaving the fuse in all the time hurt anything? I would think it would help fuel mileage. I really don't need AWD where I live.

I agree with rutech because when I was reading my repair manual it said that the FWD fuse holder was for dealer diagnostics (and I'm sure it would not be a bad idea to use as you said when you use the spare) and subaru obviously made it with AWD so I would probably not use it unless it was neccesary to do so.

Noobinator

Having the fuse in definitely disables the AWD. I have even wired in a toggle switch to one of the wires, with the fuse left in the socket. With a flip of the switch, it completes the circuit, and TADA...FWD, should you want to do some burnouts or something. I originally tried the theory of improved gas mileage, but didn't really notice much of a difference. I wanted the switch in there just in case I needed the AWD in a pinch, as I do live in an area where it's needed.
    One notable difference is there is major torque steer while in FWD mode, and I didn't really care for it.

Noobinator

It's been said, but when that fuse is in FWD, that's what it is. No ifs ands or buts about it. It will not switch back and forth dies to conditions. Your mechanic shouldn't be working on Subarus. You also don't want to drive long periods of time in FWD or you will be replacing the tranny again.

Noobinator

There's a lot of misinformation being passed around here.
    Ultimate Subaru Legacy forum
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.