Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

2000 3.0lt intermittent engine light

Thread: 2000 3.0lt intermittent engine light

tony64peter

Unhappy 2000 3.0lt intermittent engine light

Hope someone can help please? 2000 3.0lt sw,22000 miles, outback wagon mint condition, drives great around town on short trips. But after about45 - 50 min driving I get a flash of the engine light and the engine faulters momentarily [ less than 1/2 second ]. 5 min later there will a similar occurrence then progressively the time intervals between flashes/engine cut reduces to the point where the light is on contiuously and engine is dead. After 10 - 15 cool down period I am able to start engine and continue for about 5 min before the above dreaded light starts its cycle all over again. I have connected my OBD II tester and no fault codes display. Can any body help Please?
    Last edited by tony64peter; 05-31-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Sounds like a charging system that is not keeping the battery up to full voltage. I'd have the alternator checked first off somewhere competent and perhaps look into a new battery.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

tony64peter

Thanks Scorpion8 Its not the charging system. When the engine light is on continuously I can easily crank the engine for 5 min or more. Alternator running around 14.5 volts I notice also that when the light appears I can hear a relay in the dash clicking in unison to the light.

Just to clarify, because I'm not seeing a 3.0 litre engine for the 2000 Outback, only 2.5 liter engines.

There's also a previous thread here about an alternator recall that gave similar issues with the auto as yours is doing, and it turned out to be a (IIRC) high voltage wire in the alternator. Lemme see if I can dig up that past thread.

ETA: read thru here: http://www.thesubaruforum.com/forums...read.php?t=812
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

tony64peter

Thanks Scorp8 its not that. It is a Jap import and confirming 6cyl 3.0lt Cheers Tony