Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

96 Impreza, Which Pulley is this?

Thread: 96 Impreza, Which Pulley is this?

Motohip

Default 96 Impreza, Which Pulley is this?

Which pully is this? If fell off while driving down the road. Do you think it did damage to drive it?

It's in the center of this pic.

Here's a close-up.

njshente

Lightbulb shente6

I agree with you, and that's exactly what I thought. So exciting! You really have a wonderful idea! I believe that you've got it right. stainless steel pipe

Suby Talker

your crank pulley is gone if you were lucky the crank did not break and the timing belt did not jump. but you do not want to drive it without the dampner. My biggest fear is that the keyway on the crank is damaged and will not properly align another pulley. Also did you just have your timing belt done? if so they obviously did not properly torque the crankshaft pulley bolt.

thanks
    Eric
    AMS
    5-axis cnc cylinder head porter
    master machinist/engine builder
    1-800-210-8675

Noobinator

Is it really common to have the crank break and the timing belt jump? I have an 05 Legacy w/85K and the pulley failed which then caused the belt to jump. Has anybody ever heard of this before on such a young car?

Suby Talker

Most of the time the dampener fails when the bolt comes loose.
    Now why did the bolt come loose?
    Was the bolt not properly torqued or was it reused after being stretched past it's yield point.
    Last but not a common occurance the manufacturer spec'd out the wrong torque.

Now you said your pulley failed what exactly failed?
    Eric
    AMS
    5-axis cnc cylinder head porter
    master machinist/engine builder
    1-800-210-8675

Noobinator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040719.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040722.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	428

Here are the pics of the crankshaft pulley.....you can see how it fell backwards into the timing belt cover and started to shread it.

Suby Talker

The dampening rubber failed this is common on older pulley's
    If you do not operate the engine in this condition for very long you can just replace it and it should be fine
    If operating at high speeds or extended periods of time you can break the crankshaft
    Please check your cranking compression first before starting the engine with the new dampener

Any. Problems please call me at the shop
    Thanks
    Eric