Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Subura Geriatrics

Thread: Subura Geriatrics

Getontheh2o

Default Subura Geriatrics

Alright, so I have a 1995 Legacy LS with 251,000 miles on it. The car has stories and I want it to have many more. I drive another car during the summer months as it gets 40mpg. I drive over a 9,000 foot mtn pass everyday (a total of 7,000 ft gain there and back). The engine light is on, and the diagnosis is an knock sensor. The lifters are making a noise and it is starting to blow a little blue smoke. For the most part the car runs fine (i.e, don't fix it if it ain't broken?) Since I am not driving the car during the summer months, I want to tune the car up myself. The question is, what would you recommend I do? I'm thinking timing belt, water pump, possibly oil pump, et. Since I live in the mountains and don't have a garage, I'm not real keen on working on the car during the winter, so I want to get it done in warmer temps and longer days.

Timing belt is a must. Water pump is another strong possibility. Oil pressure you can check and if it's okay I wouldn't fuss with that. Drain and flush the tranny if it's an ATX, and re-do the differentials. There are some sensors that are easy to replace (knock sensor) but since it's pre-OBD you'll need to have the ECU reset by someone with Suby specific diagnostics. You won't fix the magic blue smoke unless you do a ring job, but changing to full synthetic might help in the sump. Depends how much zlotys you want to sink into it.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

I agree with scorpion, check your oil pressure before replacing the pump. If the pressure is good you might try dumping a quart of ATF in the engine and let it run half an hour to an hour, then change your oil. The ATF has lots of detergants in it that will help clean up a sticky lifter if that is the problem. If you can do a cylinder leak down test on it. That will tell you if the rings are leaking, it could be worn valve seals causing the smoke, possibly the guides are worn to. That is a big job though and with that many miles on it I would recommend watching your oil level and run her till she dies. I know a guys who put 350K on his legacy before he sold it, it was fouling spark plugs every 15k miles because of oil consumption but other than that it ran like a champ. They will go the distance there is no doubt about that. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.