Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ticking sound/Vibration/Rotors

Thread: Ticking sound/Vibration/Rotors

Noobinator

Default Ticking sound/Vibration/Rotors

Hello everyone,

I own a 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan, absolutely love the car it is a joy to drive. I have 3 concerns to put out there.

1. I hear a very fast but faint high sounding ticking noise coming from the front when I press on the gas, around 2500 to 3000 rpm. The sound intensifies when I am going up hill, and then sounds more like a high pitched fast knocking. It happens in the higher gears mostly 3rd to 5th, and on the highway. Asked others and the dealer about it and no one hears it.

2. Just recently I hear a louder mid range vibration sound coming from the front as well. Itís immediately after I take my foot off the gas and press the clutch in. I donít feel any vibrations I just hear it, its getting pretty loud. Seems like it happens when the revs are falling from 4000 rpm to 3000 rpm. I park the car put it in neutral and the engine revs clean no vibrations. It is mostly on take off in the 1st to 3rd gears, just as I let off the gas and revs are falling. Annoying!!!

3. I had my brakes done and they changed the rotors as well. Iím at 90,000km and was expecting to change the pads but not the rotors to. I think I did pretty good lasting till now until my first brake job, front 10% and back 20% left on the pads. But what kind of mileage is everyone else getting with their rotors?

Thanks,

Derek

Noobinator

sounds like a throw out bearing for concern 2 but for concern 1 i don't know it could be a bearing on the front diff just a guess

97IMPREZA2.2

sounds like a bad front CV shaft, mine has a bad shaft in it, 60 bucks at auto zone, im going to get it later today, never changed one before, im about to post asking how

Noobinator

to change the front cv shafts just take the wheel off then take your caliper off then take your rotor off and then take your axle nut off and then take your ball joint nut off then with a good sized hammer hit the spindal wear the ball joint goes threw it untill it releases then pull the spindal tward u and the axle should slide out if not give it a good wack with the hammer to convince it to move after u have that end out u might need a pry bar to pop it out of the transmission

when installing the new one make sure it lockes in the transmission by pushing on it untill u feel it pop in or looks like its wear the old one was then put a little grease on the splines before u put it in the spindal after u have it in the spindal put your ball joint back togeather and then put your axle nut on casle side twards u and tourque to spec then put a codder pin in it so it cant back off then put your brakes back togeather and put your wheel on

Noobinator

thats how to change your axle

Noobinator

/ cv shaft

Noobinator

Default Found the noise!!!

Well turns out the answer for question number 2 was a vibrating heat shield on my muffler! In and out of the dealership, Iíll count myself lucky!!!!

Noobinator

Default Still no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Stewart View Post

1. I hear a very fast but faint high sounding ticking noise coming from the front when I press on the gas, around 2500 to 3000 rpm. The sound intensifies when I am going up hill, and then sounds more like a high pitched fast knocking. It happens in the higher gears mostly 3rd to 5th, and on the highway. Asked others and the dealer about it and no one hears it.

Still no idea

In regards to problem number one. Still no luck in finding what is causing this vibration, rattle or knocking sound… seems to intensify in the summer and or when the AC is being used. Certainly gets worse up hill and with a fully loaded car! I thought for sure it was a ping from low octane fuel but I ran supreme for a year with no change.

Subaru continues to say the car runs clean with no noises. I even got them the check the CV shaft and also the bearings….

The problem is the noise can not be heard at idle.. the car revs beautifully and clean when parked and in neutral. It’s only in the 2500 to 3000 rpm range with a slightly depressed gas pedal. If I press more on the gas the rattle intensifies but then immediately stops once the revs come up and everything levels out. When I leisurely drive the sound is more apparent when hitting a hill.. If I drive aggressive the rattle levels out faster and almost goes away.

Thx everyone,

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Stewart; 07-06-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Noobinator

Sounds to me like its a CV shaft problem. I had the same problem, only mine completely broke after about 2500 miles not knowing what it was! So I got stranded. I would try changing the CV. Like said above, only about 60 bucks at auto zone if you take in the core. not that hard to change out either.