Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ticking sound/Vibration/Rotors

Thread: Ticking sound/Vibration/Rotors

Noobinator

Default Ticking sound/Vibration/Rotors

Hello everyone,

I own a 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan, absolutely love the car it is a joy to drive. I have 3 concerns to put out there.

1. I hear a very fast but faint high sounding ticking noise coming from the front when I press on the gas, around 2500 to 3000 rpm. The sound intensifies when I am going up hill, and then sounds more like a high pitched fast knocking. It happens in the higher gears mostly 3rd to 5th, and on the highway. Asked others and the dealer about it and no one hears it.

2. Just recently I hear a louder mid range vibration sound coming from the front as well. Itís immediately after I take my foot off the gas and press the clutch in. I donít feel any vibrations I just hear it, its getting pretty loud. Seems like it happens when the revs are falling from 4000 rpm to 3000 rpm. I park the car put it in neutral and the engine revs clean no vibrations. It is mostly on take off in the 1st to 3rd gears, just as I let off the gas and revs are falling. Annoying!!!

3. I had my brakes done and they changed the rotors as well. Iím at 90,000km and was expecting to change the pads but not the rotors to. I think I did pretty good lasting till now until my first brake job, front 10% and back 20% left on the pads. But what kind of mileage is everyone else getting with their rotors?

Thanks,

Derek

Noobinator

Wow, I thought I should get more out of my rotors; 100,000 miles would be 160,000 km. We got only 90,000 km and we drive on the easy side. Subaru said the backside of the rotors were worn to far down and they would have a hard time machining them without having problems with them shaking after. What’s done is done I guess!

I did hear of someone having vibration problems with the heat shield of the exhaust on another car forum. Thanks, I will see if I can remedy it myself.

Running premium was my first guess to try to help the ticking noise, but I ran premium for a whole year and still heard it. It’s off and on with both regular and premium, and I can’t pin point any changes with temperature. Comes and goes when it wants, but does sound like a low octane ping. Hmmmm listening to music helps LOL!

Thx for your time,

Derek

Noobinator

Yeah the ticking or ping totally gets worse when the A/C is on. It sure sounds like the same issue! Thanks, now I know I’m not going crazy when I’m the only one that hears it. I guess it’s not a major issue and that puts me a bit at ease. Thanks again for your help, I’m more equipped now.

Noobinator

Default Found the noise!!!

Well turns out the answer for question number 2 was a vibrating heat shield on my muffler! In and out of the dealership, Iíll count myself lucky!!!!