Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

should this be my first car?

Thread: should this be my first car?

new_guy

Default should this be my first car?

I was looking around at cars and i am currently looking at a 1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon with an automatic transmission. Im not very familiar with subarus and i thought this may be a good place to go to ask about this one. This car will serve as transportation to school, and later college, or military(soon to be decided). The car has around 190,000 miles on it but a new engine was put in around 3 years ago. It hasnt been driven much in the past year. It has a new battery and a new alternator. There are minor things that need attention. For example the front turn signal is gone, the power steering pump leaks and possibly oil from the valve covers leaking as well. There was some minor valve noise when i started it but once the car had warmed up it went away. It also sounds as though there may be a small exhaust leak as well. The cable that works the automatic shoulder harness is hanging out of its track near the headliner. I dont know how hard this would be to fix. The heater, AC, lights, etc. all seem to work. The power window control on the driver door works but needs to be pushed down HARD. The interior is in pretty good shape but needs to be cleaned up due to 18 years of dirt. There are a few paint blemishes as well. The tires are good for now but will need to replaced before the snow flies. There's also a silicon patch near the top of the A pillar on the driver side door. Is this fixing a common leak? The owner wanted $1400-1500 although the car hasn't been smogged yet. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Well the 91 legacy is a very good car in general, Check to see it the engine is a 1.8L or a 2.2L. Also the automatic transmissions like to start having trouble about the 200-250K range. It is strange that the engine was replaced, makes me think it might be a 1.8L. Also with all the other stuff you mentioned I think the price is a little high. I have a 93 legacy with 216000 miles and the 2.2L engine and auto transmission and it runs great, uses maybe a quarter of a quart of oil every 3000 miles. They are great cars. I would not think the valve cover gaskets would be leaking already if the engine was just replaced so you may want to check into that. I guess if it were me I would make sure the car had a 2.2L engine and offer a thousand and see what happens. With everything that is wrong with it, I don't think it is worth much more than that. If it has the 1.8L stay away. Hope this helps and good luck.

guydakine

Default Little steep..

For a '91?? Sounds like way too much. Use eBay as your barometer on buying one, I got my '96 on eBay for $2800 in super shape, though after a month it needed a new engine, another $1000 but now it's like new for just under $4K and I know every nut and bolt under the hood, I did it myself, very easy job.. But all said, there are many good deals to be found, look in FL, make sure it's never lived in the salt, ocean or winter roads.. Listed below are a few URL's from eBay to check out, trust me the '91 is way over priced... Good luck..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...fCarsQ5fTrucks