Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Electrical problems 98 outback

Thread: Electrical problems 98 outback

Gardner

Default Electrical problems 98 outback

There is a tick-tock, sound coming from my steering column and the dome light sometimes stays on. The sound starts and stops randomly and will stay on when the car is turned off. Very strange. Anyone have any ideas?

A little more info is needed: only when the key is in the ignition, or even with it removed? Dome lights are controlled by the door switches so you may want to spray lube those or see if the rubber boots are torn or worn. The door switches can sometimes get jammed or the plunger won't slide freely. Are you sure the tick-tock sound isn't your keys swinging in a pendulum fashion against the steering column?
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

Gardner

The light works the way it is supposed to when the key is in the ignition. However, when the key is removed, if the dome light is set to turn on when the door opens, the light comes on and stays on regardless of if the door is closed or not. I checked the little buttons in the door jams and they are working properly. And no the clicking is not my keys.... That would be ridiculous. The clicking continues even when the keys are out of the ignition and in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardner View Post
    And no the clicking is not my keys.... That would be ridiculous. The clicking continues even when the keys are out of the ignition and in my pocket.
    Just checking, you'd be surprised. Lemme dig up the wiring diagram for the interior lights and I'll get back to you.

Do the right or left step lights work as designed when the doors are opened? There are two diodes in the circuit that may be causing your problem, along with a faulty ground in the trailer electrical connector if that has water in it or a short. The clicking may be one of the two diodes failing. Taking the dome light switch to OFF or ON instead of DOOR takes those diodes out of the circuit. How good are you at chasing wires and electrical t-shooting?
    Last edited by Scorpion8; 04-30-2009 at 12:18 AM.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500