Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Am I in the right place? NEED HELP!!

Thread: Am I in the right place? NEED HELP!!

papabear92

Question Am I in the right place? NEED HELP!!

Hi. Trying to fix my sons car. 1990 Loyale with the 1.8. He broke drivers side timing belt. I replaced both belts. All timing marks lined up and in the middle of the three marks on the flywheel. Still wont fire. I noticed the rotor is between the 1 and 4 firing position when all these things are lined up. Shouldn't it be on number 1 TDC? Are these motors capable of a piston and valve hitting when a belt breaks? Bangin my head and just want to get him on the road again.
    Please let me know if I should post this somewhere else. Thanks.

Hey there, the EA82 will not bend valves if the belt brakes so you should be ok there. The engine will not be at top dead center either, the timing marks on the flywheel tell you that. The marks with the degrees on it would indicate TDC and the three marks you spoke of are the valve timing marks so sounds like you are in the right spot. just make sure when you are done that the marks on the cam sprockets are 180 deg from each other, as in if one is pointing straight up than the other will be straight down. If all that is lined up then it should fire. Hope this helps.

papabear92

Default Great info and thank you

Does it matter which direction the rotor is pointing when the first one is done?
    Thanks for the info. Now the book is making a little more sense.

No it shouldn't matter where the rotor is pointed, as long as you have not removed the distributer than you will be ok in that aspect of it. If you did remove it then you will have to set the engine up on TDC #1 and time the distributor. If you do want to check it just to make sure it is in the right place than use the timing marks I mentioned before with the numbers on it, when the pointer is on the mark with the 0 next to it the rotor will either be pointing at #1 if you are on the compression stroke of #1 or 180 off if you are on exhaust stroke. Good luck and hope you get it going.

njshente

Arrow shente6

I agree with you, and that's exactly what I thought. So exciting! You really have a wonderful idea! I believe that you've got it right. stainless steel pipe