Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

what is a descent reliable car to get?

Thread: what is a descent reliable car to get?

ajrcltmar

Default what is a descent reliable car to get?

I am looking to buy a used car around $5000 and under. I need something reliable. What do you recommend? I'm looking for a 4 door or station wagon. 4 cyl. every time I research a brand there is always a major problem with reliability. example I wanted a subaru well I found 95 on down have faulty transmissions and on up have electrical problems. I need something afordable to keep up with.

Jason

I have a 2002 Chevy Impala with 199,000 miles. it still runs fine and hasn't rusted.

taYloR9999

Well, today it is hard to find a reliable car around your price range. It's more around 6 to 7 thousand, but I'm not saying theres no reliable one out there because there is! I must also say, not every used car is perfect. You're just going to have to take your chances. Live & Learn.

bobsled

assume that you are going to have to do some maintenance on the car. Choose a car with historically high reliability...typically Japanese cars...though the Toyota Corolla and the Chevy Prizm are the same car built in partnership on the same assemly line...

BrunetteCutie

I have never bought a used car... but I have a good friend who swears by used cars, the bargain pricing and getting your monies worth type of thing.In terms of reliability, it sort of depends on the way the person before you was driving it. A cool way to find out of kinds of "trouble" a car has been in is by going to Carfax (see link below). They will ask you for the car's VIN and you can search the history of the car. From what I know, Honda and Toyota have proven to be one of the most reliable brands. Definitely don't go with a Chevy or a GM vehicle if you are looking for realibility. Look at Consumer Reports and how they rate the particular car you like (year, make, etc). CR comes out yearly with an all-car issue. Just go to your local library and they should have all issues.Another issue where reliability comes into play is HOW you use your car, what kinds of roads you drive, what kind of weather you drive in and where you keep it (garage vs. outside). If you keep your car inside a garaga, live in a place that's warm and where it doesn't snow or rain - your car will never rust. If you live in the suburbs and drive only highway miles on perfect pavement that never cracks because you don't have cold winters, then your car will last you longer than in a state where the roads are covered today with ice tomorrow with snow, your car is always outside rain or shine, it hardly gets washed and there are ditches and gravel roads everywhere outside your house. Need I say more?I am guessing your question was probably more geared toward manufacturer-like troubles, like faulty engineering of the vehicle itself, then, I suggest one more time, Consumer Reports for the year of the car you're planning on buying. It will break it down to you to the last little thing from brand most reported for what problem for that year.I hope I was helpful.