Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help! With 1994 Subaru Legacy Wagon Clutch/or Transmission Noise!!!!!! #@##

Thread: Help! With 1994 Subaru Legacy Wagon Clutch/or Transmission Noise!!!!!! #@##

heffery14

Unhappy Help! With 1994 Subaru Legacy Wagon Clutch/or Transmission Noise!!!!!! #@##

ok so heres the deal, ill start up my car put on the parking brake and leave it neutral and with my foot of the clutch i hear this weird grinding noise. but as soon as i push in the cluth the noise goes away. my dad said it could be a throw out bearing but i need more opinions before i go out and by the new parts! PLEASE HELP I LOVE MY WAGON HELP ME SAVE IT!

It does sound like a throw-out bearing. Do all the synchros work when you shift?
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

heffery14

yes i believe they all work there isnt any noises that are made when im shifting, just when im at a stand still with my foot off the clutch

so if it is a throwout bearing does that mean i need a whole new clutch or just a new throw out bearing?

and thanks for answering!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heffery14 View Post
    ... or just a new throw out bearing?
    Does the noise change when the pedal is in motion? Rattling/grinding at idle and then any change when you cycle the clutch?

Yes, you can replace the throw-out (release) bearing independently of the clutch. Depending how many miles are on it, as long as you're getting in there you may want to refresh the clutch anyway.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

actually the only time the throwout bearing is being used is when your foot is on the clutch, not off it. Does the car make noise when driving also?? Probly going to notice it the most in first gear, less road noise when going slow.

heffery14

well i dont really notice it in first gear

well actualy when i first started hearing the noise it got really bad like it sounded like the transmission was draging somthing but then it went away and all i hear is the grinding noise in neutral while its idling and foot off the clutch

its really confusing is the throwout bearin in use when your foot is off the pedal

No, your throw out bearing is only in use when you push your clutch pedal in, it is only when you push your clutch pedal down that the bearing has a load on it so it is not likely that it would make noise with no load on it. With your clutch pedal out, the bearing is not in use. It is strange that you don't notice it when driving though. One thing you could do is jack the car up so you can get under it, USE JACK STANDS, then start it and let it run and crawl under it and listen to where the noise is coming from, if it is coming from right behind the engine than it is coming from your clutch, and or throw out bearing area, and if it is any farther back it is probly your transmission. Hope that helps and let me know what you find

...all i hear is the grinding noise in neutral while its idling and foot off the clutch
    If it does it in neutral while idling then it should do it in any gear with your foot off the clutch. Can you drive up and down a quiet street in gear and give a good listen at slow speeds?
    Retired USN

heffery14

well since i have posted this forum the noise has been gradually going away

i still cant hear it when im driving i only hear it at a stand still

gosh this is confusing

well since i have posted this forum the noise has been gradually going away

i still cant hear it when im driving i only hear it at a stand still

gosh this is confusing
    Is there any loose play in the clutch, or sloppiness? Does the clutch pedal return to full stop height alone when you take your foot off it?
    Retired USN