Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

EJ25 Phase II head gasket reccomendations

Thread: EJ25 Phase II head gasket reccomendations

MerkXRTurbo

Default EJ25 Phase II head gasket reccomendations

I am rebuilding the EJ25 in my mom's '99 Legacy GT because she had an oil leak and ran it low and ended up with a rod knock. The engine is DOHC and Phase II (I have found much documentation saying that this is not a Phase II, but it has 52mm rod journals and the crank thrust bearing on the #5 journal).

At 125,000 miles she has NEVER had a head gasket problem, but I understand that they are the weak point of this engine. What are the best head gaskets for longevity? The engine is nothing special, and driven normally, however I would like to buy the best thing available. I've noticed that there are gaskets available from Cosworth, and Cometic (two companies I have had much luck with in other applications). Are either of those good options? Is the updated OEM headgasket a better choice?

Personally I would go with the updated OEM only because it's what the dealer would put in if he was doing the work and warrantying it. So it has to be good enough for the application and use that your mom puts onto the car. Otherwise go with the Cosworth for name value reliability.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

I agree with scorpion, if it were mine I would use OEM gaskets. You also may have had a headgasket problem starting and didn't even know it. Those engines leak internally and you won't know you have a problem until it overheats on you one day. I was also under the impression that all DOHC engines were phase one, and the SOHC 2.5 are the phase 2, could be mistaken though.

MerkXRTurbo

Thanks guys, I will be getting updated OEM.

There is much confusion regarding Phase I vs. Phase II. The factory Subaru techs that I have been able to source say that Phase I is '96-'98, Phase II being '99 and newer (parents are original owners of this car, and it has never been molested). There are SOHC and DOHC found in both Phase I and in Phase II castings.