Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Newbie Question

Thread: Newbie Question

Motsky

Default Newbie Question

Hi,
    i commute about 90 miles a day i am in need of a new car but i can't afford a car with low mileage. A used car dealer has a nice Subaru legacy outback wagon awd, all power windows, cruise cd, player , automatic . the car is in really nice shape for a 1997 it has 137,000 original miles 1 owner no accidents but has had the rear differential changed. i haven't taken it out on the highway yet because i don't want to waste the guys time until i have the money but he is asking 3500.00 the tires are all brand new , new battery. clean car no rust. what to you guys think is a descent deal assuming there are no problems when i test drive it? how are these cars on gas it is a 4cyl. ?
    are there any major problems i should expect ? i never owned a Subaru before.
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated about the deal or just general info on these cars etc . the car started right up and ran smooth when i pressed the gas it was smooth rev not choppy or any missing.

I don't think that would be a bad choice at all. See if you can wheel and deal with them first before just paying them!

Quote Originally Posted by fishingltj View Post
    I don't think that would be a bad choice at all. See if you can wheel and deal with them first before just paying them!
    I'd agree. Look underneath and see if it has any oil leaks. These cars mechanically tend to be almost bulletproof and as long as fed well, maintained, and never spoken bad about while you're IN the car they'll soldier on for a few more 100,000 miles. They aren't super-super good on gas, but they get better-than-average mileage per gallon as long as your foot isn't made of Pb.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

Motsky

Thanks for the info , someone at work last night mentioned that parts for subarus are very expensive and i should also check the shocks , they said something about it has air shocks ?

Parts are no more expensive for these than anything else, especially if you have a You-pull-it salvage lot near you and are handy in any sort of way mechanically. The parts that usually fail (small electronic control devices) are used on many engines so they aren't that expensive. Air shocks? It may have air-adjustable struts depending on what "grade" of model your purchase is but a strut is a strut and they all change in the same fashion.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500