Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

1996 outback, parking lights stay on

Thread: 1996 outback, parking lights stay on

JimTurner

Default 1996 outback, parking lights stay on

The only way to get the parking/tail lights off is to remove a fuse. Does anyone have any ideas?

You're going to have to tell us a little more: did this just start happening, start after a trip to the shop, used car and it always did it, etc? What's changed on the electrical system like added a new stereo system or body damage repair? Most likely you have a short in a line between some always-hot circuit or a short somewhere.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

JimTurner

Thanks for your reply. I bought the car 3 months ago. This just started. Nothing new added or any shop work.

The wiring diagram for this circuit is pretty simple, and the only real component that might cause this is the Tail & Illumination relay in the fuse and relay box. Do the headlamps come on and off otherwise normally using the headlamp switch, just that the marker lights stay on always? I'd try a new relay before we investigate grounds.... always do the cheap easy stuff first!
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

JimTurner

Thanks for your reply. I saw this relay in the schematics from a service manual I bought. It looks like it is in the "Fuse/Relay box" which I assume is the one under the hood since the one under the dash by the steering wheel contains only fuses. I pulled all relays and light does not go off. Looks like problem is a little deeper. BTW, I also have a 97 Dodge Ram, may look for your assistance on this as well, Thanks

You pulled the relay and the lights stay on? Yea, the problem could be a little deeper. Perchance do you have a trailer wiring plug hookup on the rear bumper? Another possibility that shares the curcuit is the Hazard flasher. Try working that back and forth a few times.
    Retired USN

Subaru's have a parking light switch on the top of the steering colume, check that, it is a small rocker switch.

JimTurner

yea, that was it. feel stupid. it was on so i couldn't see the "P" on the switch. that is normally where the hazzard switch is located. the hazzard switch is in the a/c-radio area. never had a vehicle with a seperate parking light switch. thanks for you response.

Smile

No problem, glad I could help and glad that was the issue. I guess the reason for the extra switch is for the cars in england, I guess if you park on certian streets you have to have your parking lights on so subaru just put it on all there vehicles. So anyway have a good one and once again I am glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by rutech View Post
    Subaru's have a parking light switch on the top of the steering colume, check that, it is a small rocker switch.
    Good catch. You assume folks check these simple things but sometimes that's not a valid assumption.
    Retired USN