Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Rattle in left front wheel area

Thread: Rattle in left front wheel area

kdb

Angry Rattle in left front wheel area

I have a 06 Outback. Rattle in left front started 3 mos. after I bought the car. Noise sounds like a large can with bolts rolling around in it. Can only hear the noise when driving on a rough dirt road (not on pavement). Had it check out several times. Finally, they replace the front strut. Noise returned in a few days. Seems everytime the car is jacked up the noise goes away for a few days. Also if I depress the brake slightly as I am driving the noise stops completely! Can't get the dealers to return my calls. Warranty is up in April. Any suggestions??

Does the noise get better or worse if you're turning left or right? And you stated it only makes that noise when the suspension is in action: i.e. not on perfectly flat roads? Have the dealer check the brake caliper and rotor. If the noise stops when you depress the brakes, that's a clue.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

kdb

Default Rattle

Hi Scorpion8, Thanks for the reply. There is no distinct differance turning right or left. My husband is pretty sure it is coming from the vaccum booster, but the problem is creating the noise for the service dept. There are no roads for 50+ miles that will cause the noise. Believe me 3 dealerships and 4 visits. So they say we can't hear it ...there is no noise. I'm hoping that the darn thing will just break before the warranty is up. kd

I wouldn't give up. There's no parking lot potholes you can find? How about throwing down a few 2x4's and driving over those with a dealer rep in the car? The vacuum booster is pretty far away from the wheel hub area, as that is inside the engine compartment. You need to isolate the noise as best you can. The sound you mentioned in the OP sounds more like a CV joint going bad, especially if it only happens when the suspension and wheel are articulating, which is when the CV joint will rotate out of standard dry-flat-road motion.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

n942r

Default Rattle

I have the same problem on 06 outback.. Dealer thinks it is the rack and pinion but I dont think so..... Did you resolve yours??

kdb

Default Rattle

Hi n942r, No, I have not resolved this problem but, the dealership in Durango, CO is going to call me when their field tech. is in and have him go for a ride with me to access the problem. My husband thinks it is the vacuum booster for the brakes. I guess it looks like a can right behind the brake. Since the noise goes away when I press the brake as I am accelerating this seems possible and the noise has a empty can like rattle. Also, it only happened once...I was stopped at a red light with my foot on the brake and the pedal went right to the floor just like the line was being bled. I pick my foot off the pedal and pushed the brake again and it was fine. Never did it again. I'll let yopu know if the field tech, resolves my noise. kdb

Quote Originally Posted by kdb View Post
    Also, it only happened once...I was stopped at a red light with my foot on the brake and the pedal went right to the floor just like the line was being bled. I pick my foot off the pedal and pushed the brake again and it was fine. Never did it again. I'll let yopu know if the field tech, resolves my noise. kdb
    Well that's certainly pertinent info that is useful. Your husband may be right, and or the master cylinder may be going bad too.
    Retired USN

n942r

Default 06 outback

We have found the source of the rattle in the front end of my outback on rough roads. Noise would go away with slight brake peddle pressure. The subaru technition was convinced it was my rack and pinion and even replaced it with a new one which did not help. I convinced him to check out the brake calipers.. He took them off and reinstalled them. Now the noise has gone away.. I think the noise went away because he installed the guide bolts either in different holes or are torqued different which takes up some of the loosness.....If it comes back he will replace the guide bolts...

kdb

Smile Noise

Wow...!!! That's great news. When I see the field tech I will tell him this. I had another (I think related) incident yesterday. I was driving on a rough road and the engine check light, ABS light, brake light and blinking cruse light came on. There was also a message on my odometer (Er.....HC). I called Galles & Davis in ABQ. and the service guy said it was probably set off by the ABS on the rough road and that it would clear itself in time. He also said the 2005 -08 Outbacks just seem to be noisy in the front end. What a way of putting off a repair. Anyway, thanks for the update.