Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Downshifting at high rpm?

Thread: Downshifting at high rpm?

Rocketman

Default Downshifting at high rpm?

I have a 5 speed, Subaru WRX 2.0 turbo and tend to drive it (ahem) quite quickly.I use engine braking quite frequently, partly for the glorious sound of the engine as it winds down from high rpm. Other than the obvious risk of over-revving the engine (which is easily avoided), I'm worried I could be damaging the gearbox since it has started to balk when going from 2nd into 1st. Assuming it's wear on the synchros, is that just because of frequent hard acceleration or could downshifting into first at elevated engine rpm be contributing to the problem?I don't particularly want to get into the driving technique question here (ie engine braking - with throttle blipping - as good technique or the reverse) but just the maintenance aspect. Note - all the other gears, into which I shift much more frequently and at much higher engine rpm - are not the least bit balky.

QuietBuck

beat it, it will wear out.I beat my 85 CRX for 65k in barely 14 months. She stayed together during it all but was falling apart fast when I got rid of her.you are wearing out gear box, changing your gap on lifters, etc. If you are gung hoe on this driving, as I was. I'd at least up the gear box oil to higher quality, change the filter too. As well as put racing or a higher quality spring, lifters, etc since that is easy to do on top.Otherwise just don't bounce that tac.

cunny

You should only use first gear for starting off - gears for go brakes for stop. As you predict, downshifting and letting the gears take the strain will wear out your gearbox extra quick - as your worn synchro shows. . The only time you should use engine braking is on steep hill descents - at least if you want your car engine and gear box to have a long life.

EvelynTheModifiedDog

If you lift off the gas when you change down, rather than blip the throttle, or heel and toe if you're braking, then you're putting a huge strain on what is already a highly stressed gearbox. I'm not trying to be rude here, but perhaps you should improve your driving technique. Not only will you be a safer driver, but it might save you some money too.

RX8MATE

Lets just say brakes are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace than an engine or gearbox and slowing down the car is what brakes are made for so use them. You need to review your driving techniques. Do you believe others enjoy the noise from you car too?

jasonc

First gear should only be used for pulling away, there is a major size difference between first and second gear. As a result down shifting from second to first will very quickly either damage the synchros or worst still chip the gear.By all means down shift the other gears but stop the second to first.Ja.

TERRYREAD

You should learn double 'd' clutch driving, i had to learn this for a gear exercise which was part of a p.c.v driving test going from top down to first, this involves coming out of gear pressing the accelerator ( blipping i think you referred to it) then changing down.If i could get an old Bedford coach into first gear whilst moving using this method, you should be able to do it in a modern motor.

MindzEyeWRX02

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I have a 5 speed, Subaru WRX 2.0 turbo and tend to drive it (ahem) quite quickly.I use engine braking quite frequently, partly for the glorious sound of the engine as it winds down from high rpm. Other than the obvious risk of over-revving the engine (which is easily avoided), I'm worried I could be damaging the gearbox since it has started to balk when going from 2nd into 1st. Assuming it's wear on the synchros, is that just because of frequent hard acceleration or could downshifting into first at elevated engine rpm be contributing to the problem?I don't particularly want to get into the driving technique question here (ie engine braking - with throttle blipping - as good technique or the reverse) but just the maintenance aspect. Note - all the other gears, into which I shift much more frequently and at much higher engine rpm - are not the least bit balky.
    What year is your car??

There is no way you can't talk about driving techniques when your asking how to maintain the tranny. No matter how much maintenance you do to it, how you drive it will determine how long it will last. But changing out your tranny fluid might help a little. there is a transmission cocktail recipe on other subie forums that seem to help a lot of people.

If your gonna drive your car hard, downshift without rev matching, and doing power mods, you should start looking into upgrading your tranny with aftermarket gearsets or a 6speed swap. if you only want to keep the car at around the 300whp mark and don't want to spend the money on aftermarket or 6mt, look into Legacy gearsets.

You gotta pay to play.