Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What do I need to replace/fix in my car?

Thread: What do I need to replace/fix in my car?

itsirkm

Default What do I need to replace/fix in my car?

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy L. Engine is a 4-Cyl. 2.2 L. It is a 5-speed 4WD with 250,000+ miles on it. My only transportation for now.It takes like 10-20 minutes just to start it. It starts to do this shuttering thing once it starts moving. It wont go past 60mph on the freeway and when I go up hill it loses speed. When I stop it takes for ever to get it to start moving again. It gets really smokey under the hood and kinda smells like rotton eggs sometimes. Just replaced the spark plugs and tightened somethings that thought might be the problemSome one told me it sounds like my timing belt needs to be replaced and some one else told me it doesnt. What do I need to replace/fix these problems?Should I just buy a whole newer crate engine for it?Need feedback ASAP. Dont think my car will last too much longer

WilliamC

You don't ever need to buy a crate motor for a chassis with so many miles on it. Just do a simple overhaul or a used motor swap if you have the funds for it. The timing belt on cars usually need to be replaced anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 mile intervals, so you should check if the belt has any cracks in it. Too many things can cause overheating, so you should look up the causes if you can.

mls

It is fixable, but it depends on how much you paid for the car. It may be beneficial to purchase another car.There is a lot of time and a bit of money to fix these problems.

going_for_baroque

You'll need a good manual to do this yourself, but it's possible. The next thing you'll need is a timing light ($40-ish). The manual will tell you how to time the motor using the timing light. So far, you've not done anything to the car. Using the timing light, see what you get for timing. If it's off by five degrees, you won't have much power, but it should start. (Sorta like your description.)Now comes time to get your hands dirty. You've got to verify top dead center by looking at the valves on the number one cylinder and getting close by rotating the engine by hand. (Remember to remove all spark plugs and mark all cables)If your timing tells you that you've jumped timing (a definite possibility at 250,000) you need a new timing belt. The manual will show you how in a step-by-step way. A new belt shouldn't be too expensive. Might be enough to keep your car going awhile longer. While you're doing all this, you might invest in a compression tester, too, and see what kind of compression that motor has. The manual will tell you what sort of numbers to look for. You've got some work ahead, but with the manual, you should be all right. Confidence in yourself is very important.

chriss

sounds to me like its your full pump and your full filter you should change your pump and filter i would also go ahead and change that timing belt because its most likley shot to if the car has that many miles on it

johnboy

sounds like your converter is plugged

cchidzey

The rotten eggs smell is the clue here, that is a distinctive smell nearly always caused by a failed catalytic converter. If the honeycomb has collapsed, it will block the exhaust. This will cause the loss of power, the smoking under the bonnet and the difficult starting. Check this by tapping the cat box in the exhaust, if it rattles it will need to be replaced. If in doubt, remove the cat from the exhaust and inspect it internally.It will not need a timing belt, these are "safe" engines, in that if the belt snaps, no damage will occur, just fit a new belt.