Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

oil all over plugs

Thread: oil all over plugs

Noobinator

Default oil all over plugs

1999 Impreza with about 85,000 miles. I was changing the plugs on a friend's car and my plug wrench and extension came out covered in engine oil, both plugs on the left side, and one on the right. Since the area is above the plugs I assume it's supposed to be a "dry" area. Timing belts had been changed sometime last year. No signs of leaks on the outside. Is this normal? If not (which is what I assume) does anyone have an idea of what would cause it?

Suby Talker

Is the oil on the business end of the plugs? Or is it on the body of the plugs? If it's on the body, then the vavlve cover gaskets are leaking.

Noobinator

oil on top of plugs, so must be the valve cover gasket. I haven't noted any undue oil usage other than what I would consider "normal" (due to her driving like a scalded cat!). Not sure how tough it is to get to the gaskets on that car, but the boxer design doesn't look like it will make it too easy. It seems odd that both sides indicate the same problem at the same time, though.

Noobinator

yes the spark plug tub seal is leaking oil into the tub anyway the valve vover must come off just buy a vc set not indivual gaskets