Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
94 Impreza engine change...wont start. EJ 18.

Thread: 94 Impreza engine change...wont start. EJ 18.

Noobinator

Default 94 Impreza engine change...wont start. EJ 18.

Hello all. Hope someone out there can help me with this. I got a 94 Impreza with a bad engine from my nephew. Bought a used one from a wrecking yard with 101,000 miles to replace it. All went well with the swap until I tried to plug in the two big terminals at the back of the engine. One of the terminals on the new engine had a different shape to it, making it impossible to plug in. I removed the wiring harness from the old engine and carefully replaced it on the new engine. Every plug seemed to fit fine with no "leftovers". I assumed the new engine was a different year or possibly from a car with a manual trans or something. Any way, I have spark at the plugs and fuel where the hose leaves the filter, but it won't start. I tried a little starting fluid in the intake and it backfires, almost as if the timing is off, but I understand that the timing is controlled by the computer. I have swapped the cam position sensor, the crank position sensor and the coil pack from the old engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Suby Talker

You have to check the VALVE TIMING first. May be timing belt jump at either bank or and check the compression if valve timing are OK.