Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Volvo V50 vs. Subaru Forester?

Thread: Volvo V50 vs. Subaru Forester?

Gala

Default Volvo V50 vs. Subaru Forester?

I'm looking for a new car. I've had a Volvo wagon for years--the odometer stopped a couple of years ago at 230,000, and it's time for a new car, sadly. I'd like to get a wagon or a mini-SUV. I test-drove a Volvo V50 2005 with 42k miles and loved it but a well-known publication gives it bad ratings for reliability, which surprised me. I also drove a 2007 Forester with 11k miles and like it, too.The Volvo is a Volvo, and it has a sunroof, which I really want. The Forester doesn't. I found a 2006 Volvo with 20k miles--it's about 150 miles from here.All three cost about the same. I'd like to hear from V50 and Forester owners, please.Thanks.The Volvo is th T5 turbo. I'm also considering the Toyota Rav4 and Honda CRV.

roberta

both are garbage

rotus8667

My father has a Forester. It's been reliable so far with about 80k miles on it. He has the XT version with turbo, leather and a gigantic sunroof. All Subarus are awd, so if the V50 is not, that's a bonus for the Suby. It's roomy on the inside, for a small suv. Since it doesn't sit as high as the other small suvs, it handles better. The only complaint he has is the doors are frameless, meaning there are no fromes around the glass and he gets a little wind noise because they never seal up tight. No water gets in, just a little wind noise.The V50 is based on Ford's small car platform and it shares this with the Focus and Mazda 3. I believe the V50 uses Volvo's inline 5, which Volvo do not share with Ford or Mazda. That's a pretty reliable motor. My boss has one in his V70 CC and he's only had a couple of problems that were fixed under warranty.

JetDoc

Yep... Volvo quality has gone downhill since Ford bought them a few years back. It's still a nice car, but not what they used to be. Subaru's have a reputation for bulletproof engines, as long as you replace the rubber timing belt every 60K miles. The Subi is also all-wheel drive, which may be a consideration if you live in an area where they have winter.I guess in the long run, it's your money and your choice to make, but I would consider the Volvo to be a bit more upscale than the Subaru.Good Luck.

C7S5241

Volvo was reliable, but they have slipped lately in reliability.Subaru is just as reliable as Toyota and Honda. Almost.The Subaru Forester is a small SUV, not a Station wagon.It has been named the best small SUV for the past 3-5 years straight.

phammett

I recommend you do what I did, fix up your current Volvo. Price having it restored to original condition, interior/exterior/engine (not at dealership, and maybe at a few different places) Make it cherry again, something you'll love getting into every day. Rent a car for a week, and have it brought back to life. You know its history, you said you were happy with it, why not keep it? Per "click and clack" www.cartalk.com, Volvos will last forever, and will always drive like new, but once they get older, expect to spend about 5K every 5 years to keep them pristine. And 5k will be a lot cheaper than buying new. Throw in a paint job for 2k also, it'll still be cheaper. Go to clarkhoward.com also, he is a consumer advocate/cheapskate, and read about auto maintenance. He calculated that keeping the same car for 15 years will save you about 30k. Also, if you're buying to keep a long time, both the new Volvos and the Subarus will last, but they'll be full of unfixable rattles that will drive you crazy (along w/ all other cars today except Mercedes, which have their own brand of electrical nightmares).