Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

looking to get my first subie

Thread: looking to get my first subie

Default looking to get my first subie

hey guys, im new to subarus, but ive always have wanted to get one....my girlfriend and i are getting married in 2 months, and we are wanting to get a nice family car, that i can do light mods on. ive been lookin at the legacy, but i wanted to get other people's opinion...so any advice you can give, would be awesome! thank you

the new guy

Noobinator

Soon_To_Be-Subie_Owner1

No experience with the Legacy. My experiences with (Impreza) Subaru that I will pass on are;

Tyre wear - the outside inch (or so) on the fronts has wore noticeably more than the rest of the tyre. Rotating them will increase the km's before replacing them but you will then be up for 4 tyres instead of two. More time to save for tyres but twice the cost is a big hit in the pocket. I found that not rotating the tyres and just replacing the fronts was 'better' for me because the ($$$ and time) cost of rotation were not more than the difficulties of finding the extra $$$ when all tyres were replaced. I have already learned that a different (than factory) wheel alignment can limit the wear disparity between the outside and the rest.

Tyre Brand - Given the typical issues with changing brands, and getting varying results, I have found it much easier to save in advance for the next set of OEM tyres (which for my 05WRX were 050A's) than read about other peoples experiences but at the end of the day I know how good they were and I don't want to spend time reading/listening to people talk about their favourite brand. Given the many many tire brands I could be kept looking for years/cars to come. If you don't like what you have, run them 'into the ground' and save up for the OEM tyres as your next set.

They are my 2 major concerns BUT someone once said a Subaru doesn't have faults....just quirks that make them special. Enjoy the car and don't stress (too much) about any quirky points you discover. Celebrate them with a good drive in the a variety of weather conditions and road surfaces- where the Might Subie Rules!

Cheers
    Laurie

I work for a Subaru dealer in NH and I love the Legacy. The legroom in the back is great and is a good family sedan, especially considering the standard symmetrical AWD and low price point. The Forester and Outback are good as well, but they have the truck/small SUV feel. The cost of ownership is pretty low, but the poster above me is correct. Because of symmetrical AWD and the Boxer engine, Subaru's require more frequent tire changing than other vehicles. This is offset easily by the lower entry cost, but if you rotate your tires and take care of them they can last twice as long! Overall, it's a great family car and its one of the safest out there.

Noobinator

@ WRX STI Enthusiast- What is is about the symmetrical AWD and Boxer engine that makes Subaru's require more frequent tyre changing? Or are you simply reporting the evidence that their tyres wear more often? I haven't ready anything particular about the design of the Subaru that causes the wear. Keen to hear your thoughts. Cheers

Sorry I miss-worded my post. Because of symmetrical AWD the tires require even wear and tear.The AWD system provides balanced power to all the tires, all the time. When one tire is degraded more than the other, it causes damage to the engine providing the power for the AWD system. When there is a fractional difference in the tires tread, it can cause engine damage. I asked the mechanic a while back as to why this occurred, but I can't recall the exact reason. However, everyone at our dealership has their tires rotated often to prevent engine failure. The only other downside is that if you have to change one tire, you should change all of them to avoid the above problem.

Basically the tires don't wear b/c of the engine and symmetrical AWD. But you should rotate and change them together to avoid engine failure. For instance, you shouldn't just change one tire, but all four at once.

Noobinator

Definitely get a Subaru, Which model I'm not sure, but you should definitely get one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noobinator

Ive had my Subaru for a while now & i love it. Seriously get one. Preferably Impreza.

Noobinator

.I just required some information and was searching on Google for it. I visited each page that came on first page and didn’t got any relevant result then I thought to check out the second one and got your blog. This is what I wanted!