Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Is my rear differential burnt up? Please HELP!

Thread: Is my rear differential burnt up? Please HELP!

Noobinator

Unhappy Is my rear differential burnt up? Please HELP!

Hey guys, Im new here and actually bought my first ever subaru a couple of hours ago. I picked up a 2000 Legacy GT Limited. Nice car, however Ive ran into a few issues Im hoping you all might be able to help me out with. So upon purchasing the vehicle today they guy got a flat and threw the spare tire on the drivers side rear. I had about a 70 mile drive home and all seemed to be okay. However, 60 miles or so into the trip the car smelt as if it was on fire so I pulled over and the rear differential is smoking like no other. So I let the car sit there for roughly 10 minutes to cool down. I ended up driving 10 - 15 mph the last 10 miles. The burning smell didnt come back and the car was not smoking when I got home. But what do I need to do here, is everything okay? The car seems to be driveable still as it made it home. I was thinking about changing out the fluid in the diff to be safe. My next problem is the drivers side headlight does not work unless the brights are on. I replaced the bulb and it didnt fix anything. Drivers light doesnt work when daytime running lights are on or when I physically turn it on with the switch. Only when I hit the brights does it work, but the passanger one works as its suppose too. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Noobinator

Ok ... yes you made the right decision open .. drain .. and put new fluid in the deff ... as for the lights go ahead and open up the housing for both right and left and make sure there wired the same ... I hope this helps ... good luck =)

Suby Talker

Was the spare tire the same size as the other tires? Driving with mis-matched tires will kill a differential pretty quickly.

Noobinator

forget them lights. if you let that rear differential go, you just spent another couple thousand possibly. like 02subarursturbo said, drain it completely. fill it back up with manufacturer recommended fluid. and most importantly do NOT drive it another mile on the spare if you dont have to. if the tires arent all the same size(and sometimes even the same tread depth) you can destroy the differential, transfer case, and even ultimately the transmission. who knew cars could be so picky? good luck with your new subaru. keep us posted on how it all goes