Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

WORTH $2700 to FIX A '99 SUBARU FORESTER L WITH 125K?

Thread: WORTH $2700 to FIX A '99 SUBARU FORESTER L WITH 125K?

Noobinator

Default WORTH $2700 to FIX A '99 SUBARU FORESTER L WITH 125K?

Hi,

I've been bad ... other than oil changes every 3000 miles I've been a bit negligent when it comes to tune ups for the last 2 years. Just brought the car to my mechanic -- needs $2700 of work and I'm not sure if this is putting money into a sinking ship. I would so appreciate if anyone can offer advice? Here's the list the mechanic gave me:
    -replace valve cover gasket
    -remove, replace spark plugs
    -remove, replace spark plug wire set
    -remove, replace fuel filter
    -replace front brake pads and resurface rotors if possible/replace wheel stud, both wheels
    -replace serpentine belt
    -replace idler pulley
    wheel alignment
    -need passenger side view mirror replaced
    -possibly replace exhaust(?) shield, not included in est.
    AND .... he needs to check on this -- the grinding noise i hear when car starts (from cold) may be catalytic convertor? also not included in est.

I just really don't have a clue what to do and would really appreciate any thoughts on this.

thank you
    juliann

Noobinator

Default WORTH $2700 to FIX A '99 SUBARU FORESTER L WITH 125K?

oops left out a few things from mechanics list which i just added in CAPS
    Hi,

I've been bad ... other than oil changes every 3000 miles I've been a bit negligent when it comes to tune ups for the last 2 years. Just brought the car to my mechanic -- needs $2700 of work and I'm not sure if this is putting money into a sinking ship. I would so appreciate if anyone can offer advice? Here's the list the mechanic gave me
    -replace front brake pads and resurface rotors if possible/replace wheel stud, both wheels
    -RESURFACE ROTORS
    -MOUNT AND BALANCE ONE TIRE
    -replace serpentine belt
    -replace idler pulley
    -REPLACE RACK AND PINION
    wheel alignment
    AND .... he needs to check on this -- the grinding noise i hear when car starts (from cold) may be catalytic convertor? also not included in est.

I just really don't have a clue what to do and would really appreciate any thoughts on this.

thank you
    juliann

Noobinator

Default Fix it or ditch it?

Hi,

'99 SUBARU FORESTER L: MILEAGE: 125,000

I've been bad ... other than oil changes every 3000 miles I've been a bit negligent when it comes to tune ups for the last 2 years. Just brought the car to my mechanic -- needs $2700 of work and I'm not sure if this is putting money into a sinking ship. I would so appreciate if anyone can offer advice? Here's the list the mechanic gave me
    -RESURFACE ROTORS
    -replace serpentine belt
    -replace idler pulley
    -REPLACE RACK AND PINION
    wheel alignment

thank you
    juliann

Suby Talker

Ditch it, spend your money on a newer one.

TSF Top Poster

Quote Originally Posted by juliannm View Post
    oops left out a few things from mechanics list which i just added in CAPS
    Hi,

-RESURFACE ROTORS
    -replace serpentine belt
    -replace idler pulley
    -REPLACE RACK AND PINION
    wheel alignment

thank you
    juliann
    In my opinion, succumbing to your mechanic's service doesn't necessarily put your money in a sinking ship. If the car can be revived and work decently, it would be worth it, but if you will be placed in a position where you would spend a fortune, then it would be a waste of money. Try to scout for oem parts which can help you modify your car.

Noobinator

Wow do you really have to do all that at once? Do you not know anybody that is mechanically inclined? The majority of that is simple. Perhaps ask him to give you a priority list. Are you perhaps thinking of your Timing Belt? That would be very important! If the Engine is not running Rough, you can change the plugs ,wires etc a bit later. Brakes of course are important! Did you wear your brake pads down to where they were grinding metal to metal? If not your mechanic can check the thickness of the Rotors to verify they are within legal specs and you may not need to turn the rotors if you have no deep grooves in them! I have no clue how you ended up with two bad studs! I dont know its up to you. If you have the 2700.00 and trade your car in perhaps you might do better although then there are the Car Payments that Never seem to end! Good Luck!!!

Noobinator

Ther than oil changes every 3000 miles I've been a bit negligent when it comes to tune ups for the last 2 years. Just brought the car to my mechanic -- needs $2700 of work and I'm not sure if this is putting money into a sinking ship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |