Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Subaru Forester. Any opinions? Is it a good reliable car?

Thread: I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Subaru Forester. Any opinions? Is it a good reliable car?

JezzaBella

Default I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Subaru Forester. Any opinions? Is it a good reliable car?

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Subaru Forester. Any opinions? Is it a good reliable car?

GoArmy

Default I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Subaru Forester. Any opinions? Is it a good reliable car?

I'd always check Consumer Reports for that specific model. also try epinions.com

Somethingtotry

Subarus are highly reliable and dependable. We have owned Subarus since 1993 and have never had a single issue with any of them - other than normal maintenance items. Our family currently has 4 Subarus and we are happy with all of them.

I3mySuby

Make sure to see service proof and oil change proof. If maintained properly there is still a lot left in the car but depending on mileage some important things may be coming up as far as recommended service so make sure everything is done right.

bazzamon2

Make sure there is a perfect service record with the car. A rundown suby can be a can full of worms.Parts are very expensive.Services can be very expensive through a stealer. Of course the lower the mileage the better. Foresters are underpowered & thirsty so towing can be limited.Look for tyre wear, rearwheel bearing noise & worn interiors. A real grannies transport.

tery_x

Any Subaru is a good car in my opinion, though like all vehicles, Foresters have their share of demons. Certian years are prone to rear wheel bearing problems, and any model with the 4EAT automatic transmission needs to be looked after like a baby ( be gentle, and change the fluids religiously). The 2.5L SOHC is a very stout engine.. though some years were plagued by poorly designed headgaskets..The problem was mostly limited to the Legacy models, but some Foresters with the same engine were prone as well. The engines themselves are bulletproof, being derived from an aircraft design, and it's not too hard to get over 300K on one with little or no trouble. Though I am personally not that fond of them ( I drive an Impreza WRX), the Forester is a good entry level SUV. Good cargo space, high ground clearance, and more than adequate power. The standard AWD makes it unnecessary to have a larger 4WD vehicle for winter, as it will take you anywhere you want to go. The MPG may suffer a bit, because it is only a 4 cyl, but it's still more fuel efficient than many much larger 6 and 8 cyl competitors, plus many $$$ cheaper.

mangamaniaciam

Oh yes. Just about ANY Subaru you get is going to be good. Just make sure you have the paper-work that shows that the over camshaft timing belts have been replaced when they were supposed to be(should be around 45-60,000 miles if memory serves me for this car model), the tires are good(a penny shouldn't have more than half of Abe's face showing when put between the treads), and the original owners manual and spare tire and e-jack and tire iron are there. Trust me, you can NEVER go wrong with fully independent suspension and all-wheel drive. Ever.

Noobinator

that's a nice car i'd like an 03-05 better though