Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Bring on the Welcome

Thread: Bring on the Welcome

Noobinator

Default Bring on the Welcome

I have owned our 2004 Outback since new. Great car!
    It is now approaching 100K miles and I am getting ready to do some work on it so I thought I should join.

My check engine light has been coming on lately. Yesterday it came on and stayed on! I will use the forum to work on this problem.

I haven't done much to my Sub. I had the full 36K service done, and have changed the oil myself every 4-7K miles depending on conditions. I have installed a few air filters. The car has never needed other service. Brakes are original.

I figure it is time for a "tune up", radiator and diff oil changes and I am interested in learning about how to change the timing belt and any associated work I should do while I have it open. Wish me luck! I hope to keep this car forever. Perfect for our Colorado Lifestyle!

I believe the 100k mark is when your water pump, and all timing parts get changed. In your manual there is a whole list of what needs done at 100k. On my 02 it cost me about $900 for everything......I would also change out your brakes since they are factory. Get a good set of lifetime warranty brakes from NAPA, it's worth it, or you can go the performance route, I did that and it helped braking time, but they are not life time, so you have to pay when it's time for new ones.

Also, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

TSF Contributor

^^^^I agree..

Welcome to the forum..

Noobinator

Thanks for the comments. I will give some thought to the brakes.

Noobinator

Default And another newbie question

fishingltj,

I have an '05 approaching 105k. My wife's car, not driven very hard. And I really need to change ALL the timing parts (belt, idlers, tensioner, h20 pump)? As opposed to just those bearings that are warn? Just like everyone before me, I'm curious to know what I can expect before starting the job....

Thanks,

Steve

Noobinator

welcome

Steve, I'll do a tech write up in another forum and link it here.......it's pretty in depth but can be accomplished if you are an average mechanic.