Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

2002 Forester transmission/differential problem

Thread: 2002 Forester transmission/differential problem

Noobinator

Default 2002 Forester transmission/differential problem

I have a 4 cylinder 2002 Forester with an automatic transmission. It started making a chattering sound while driving. The noise corresponds with the speed you are going. It got worse and we had it towed to a mechanic. He says there is a pinion gear in the differential that needs to be replaced and recommends rebuilding the transmission for $1700. The car has 110,000 miles on it and has not had any problems until now. This seems early for needing a new tranny and I am checking for your opinions. Thanks.

Noobinator

Default additional info

I forgot to mention that I checked the tranny fluid. It looked good (clear and at proper level). I did not check the differential oil. I bought the car with 70,000 miles and have never checked the differential oil.

Noobinator

Update: A friend referred me to a transmission shop. They said it is very unlikely that the transmission would need a rebuild. They said it is pretty common for the differential to fail on these cars. The differential repair will cost me $1000. They advised that the input piston lip seal tends to fail on these cars and he would replace it while he is in there for $75. I am going to have them do the work.