Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Engine Maintenance, oil/water pump

Thread: Engine Maintenance, oil/water pump

Noobinator

Default Engine Maintenance, oil/water pump

So I'm replacing the Timing Belt on my 97 legacy 2.2 liter, and I bought a new water pump seeing it would be conveinent now. I read that the water pumps rarely go bad, so I'm wondering, is it worth the effort? Also, I've read about oil pumps leaking, and am wondering if I should replace the oil pump.

My car has 95k on it. Maybe I should be doin head gaskets while I'm at it. Are these all things I should be replacing as preventative maintenance?

Noobinator

Default Timing belt.

When replacing the timing belt at 95k it would be a good idea to replace the water pump. The oil pump wouldn't need to be replaced bout should be resealed with "Fujibond" or an engine oil RTV. Dont go crazy with it you just need a thin bead. Also there is an o-ring to be replaced behind the oil pump. Also check the cam and crank seals. With the timing belt off you should reseal the wristpin access plug seals. Just use some of that RTV on the threads and you can either reuse or replace the washers. 2.2 engines arent as prone to leaking head gaskets as much as the 2.5 engines so if they arent leaking now i wouldn't go that far. Thats my suggestions I would welcome others.

Noobinator

I guess it's a good idea to do that. u don't necessarily need to, but i don't see the harm.
    Check out this new State Farm site. I wish they had this many reasons to get me to go to the gym!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*FYI, I'm helping spread this link around for State Farm

Noobinator

Thanks. I replaced the water pump, and re-sealed the oil pump with RTV and a new O-ring. I didn't do anything with the wrist pin access plugs (didn't know they were there). But I did all what I mentioned above and replaced the valve cover gaskets and the car doesn't leak a drop of anything.