Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

'06 Outback Chewing Up Rear Tires

Thread: '06 Outback Chewing Up Rear Tires

ZCat

Default '06 Outback Chewing Up Rear Tires

I have an '06 Outback with 46,000 miles on it. I have been through 2 sets of tires on the rear, the tires are cupping all over and generally wearing on the outside. It's much worse on the right side tire.

Had it in the Subaru shop to check bearings, and had alignment done twice (supposedly), I don't know how you can tell if they really align it or just say they did.

I can't afford to keep putting tires on this thing every 20,000 miles, 17 inch tires are **** expensive.

What would you guys do?

guydakine

Default Cupping=rotation

Hey, very common with front engine vehicles, my old SAAB went through the rears quick, major cupping as you described. Easy, rotate regularly. I know, it's a pain but that's your fix, it was actually in the SAAB manual. Put a bag of cement in the trunk, it will help. I had some nice soft Nittos on my SAAB and I was really pissed too when I saw the cupping, are yours soft race tires? Just get the floor jack out and do it!! Glad my new Subaru Outback doesn't do it.. Good luck..

Hey there, usually cupping of the tires is because of bad struts, not very common for subie struts to go bad with that few of miles on them but I have seen it happen. If it was an alignment issue the tires would wear more on the outter edge than anywhere else although I have seen them wear on the outer edge with the alignment good, I think that is just a subie thing, most will last 50 to 60k though before you need to replace them. I would recomend replacing the struts, should take care of the cupping problem at least.