Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Cylinder head removal

Thread: Cylinder head removal

Noobinator

Default Cylinder head removal

I've lost one clylinder, haven't determinded yet what it is, valve or head gasket, but it only has 20 psi comp. The question is, can I remove the head without pulling the motor?

Thanks
    Lincoln

Suby Talker

Yes, but it's lots of work. Pull the valve cover and observe the cams and valves first. Does the 20PSI leak down? Is there lots of blow-by? How is compression in the other 3 cylinders? These things can help diagnose before removing parts.

Noobinator

As a mechanic by trade, I recognize the work, just never worked on a Subaru before. I have get my test tools from work to do a leak down, no blow by, just dead in the right rear.

Suby Talker

Intresting problem, Pls let me know how you make out. Good luck DW

Noobinator

Exhaust valve is done, did the leak down and the exhaust leaks...badly!

Suby Talker

Well........ it's easier to re-do the heads than replace pistons! Somewhat good news.

Noobinator

BIG hole in the exhaust valve, I suspect from a piece carbon or something getting caught between the valve and seat, it's still there, hopefully it will come with valve grinding compound. Seat seems to be fine.

Noobinator

Default My legacy has no compression in cylinder 4

How old is your legacy and how many miles has it done?
    Mine is 2002 and only has 84000 miles.

Noobinator

The car is up and running, cut the valve seat, installed new valve, and seals.

It's a 95 with 230000 kms, great car, I had to put my 93 Audi S4 on the road while I fixed this, I'm procrastinating putting the Subi back on the road.

Noobinator

Pull the valve cover and observe the cams and valves first. These things can help diagnose before removing the parts.Good luck.
    Signature -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noobinator

Quote Originally Posted by linc View Post
    As a mechanic by trade, I recognize the work, just never worked on a Subaru before. I have get my test tools from work to do a leak down, no blow by, just dead in the right rear.
    Does anyone know why the right rear on these motors goes out. I have heard about it happening alot on that cylinder. I recently checked my compression and that cylinder was 25psi lower than the rest

Suby Talker

You might accused me for bumping this thread but i would like to say sorry for that. Im just in need of some sort of help and i hope you would not mind it guy. So here's the story. I've recently replaced the cylinder head gasket on my sister's subaru, and have used the haynes manual and followed everything down to a top ... as the manual says... got the last bolt on filled the fluids. Also checked everything and i havent seen any error into it. Then cranked it up.. slightly bogged down... then picked up .. high revved. I seen thatd everything is normal with a bit more noise possibly from one bolt breaking when removing the catalytic converter... major issue i have so far.. the passenger side is leaking from where the gasket was put in.. and a friend of mine said i should have used a silicone sealant before putting the gasket on... any idea of a fix or should i tear it down once more any help would be greatly appreciated on this issue.