Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Excessive Key Wear

Thread: Excessive Key Wear

Noobinator

Default Excessive Key Wear

I have a 2006 legacy outback with about 40k miles. One morning I tried to start the car and the key would not turn. Steering wheel was not locked. I got my second key and it turned easily. When I compared my two keys the key I use daily was excessively worn. I have my car key, key fob and one house key on the key ring. When I went to my dealer they told me that the wear was due to excessive weight on the key ring (hello?). Has anyone else exprienced excessive key wear. It's costing me over $100 to have new keys made and I'm afraid the same thing will happen again.

This could be your key ignition doing the wearing on the keys. No way should your keys be getting worn due to your key ring or even them sitting in you pocket. If the car is under warranty ask for them to check the key ignition......

Suby Talker

Just a thought. Do you have a big heavy key ring with lots of keys? They can create wear by moving around when driving. OOps you said that. Try keeping ony a few keys or a detachable key. The key metal is soft (usually brass) to prevent wear on the key cylinder.
    Last edited by dbwhiteman1; 01-05-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Rereading the question

Noobinator

They are good and better option for you. You can go with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noobinator

i have the same thing going on with mine and i only have the fob on my key ring....

Noobinator

i have had my subaru impreza (s-reg) with the oringinal iginition key. every service i spray a little WD40 on the key. bit of lube works wonders.