Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Brake Lights Not working

Thread: Brake Lights Not working

Noobinator

Default Brake Lights Not working

Hey, my brother has a 1996 suby impreza 2.2 auto that he pretty much is letting rot in my backyard right now. I love subies and wanna see it back on the streets. Here are my issues: the master cylinder is completely shot and the brake lights won't come on. Ive taken the brake light switch off the car, completely dismanteled it and cleaned it and put it back together but the lights still remain off. Is there any sort of pressure system in the master cylinder that lets the lights come on by any chance? I have NOT replaced the master yet, i wanna get lights working first if possible.

Suby Talker

ok depending if you have the sedan or wagon your wire colors may very but here is what i would like you to do.

first go check the ground wire from one of the tail lights this is the black wire
    set your ohm meter to ohms and make sure when you put the two leads together the meter goes to 0 and/or beeps next touch one end of the meter to the black wire where it plugs into the tail lite and the other lead to something metal on the chasis, the meter should read 0 and or beep if the reading is like .01 or something that means the wire is still good and that tail lite is grounded properly. if that checks out check for power to the back up light switch. First check fuse #12 to make sure it is good now find the GREEN WHITE wire at the brake light switch the switch is at the top of your brake pedal , set your meter to read dc volts.
    use the red lead to connect to the GREEN WHITE wire and ground the black lead, with a good battery you should be reading 12 volts here if you get 12volts you know you have power to the switch, now the hard part is to see if you are getting power when the switch is depressed, you can either check for voltage just like you did except now put your red lead into the WHITE BLACK wire coming from the switch and push on the brake pedal. you should get 12v or another way is to ohm the switch
    to do that switch your meter to ohms and put the leads on the GREEN WHITE wire and the WHITE BLACK wire and push in on the brake pedal you should read 0 ohms at this time. if not the switch is bad which would be the easiest thing to replace. if your switch checks out you may have a short in the WHITE BLACK wire going back to your tail lights and it may be easiest to just reroute a new wire of the same gauge back to the tail lights

hope all this helps and if you want an electrical diagram just email me your address and i can send you a pic the IM doesnt do pics very good so I cant send you one

enichols96@hotmail.com

thanks
    Eric
    AMS
    5-axis cnc cylinder head porter
    master machinist/engine builder
    1-800-210-8675

Noobinator

Thanks for the help, your suggestions pretty much is what led me to my final solution. There did not appear to be enough voltage getting TO the switch it was about .5 volts (lol) so i just ran a new power wire to the switch, this is the same problem, however, that i was having with my heater fan, so I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a main harness shorting out or what?

Noobinator

More and likely the brake light switch on the pedal it has 2 wires going to it. unplug it and join a piece of wire in between if they come on its the switch that is faulty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noobinator

Wink whole lace wigs

Royalmewigs offers cheap and high quality wholesale lace wigs & human hair wigs & lace front wigs. Ship to worldwide. Super fast delivery.----------------------------------------stock lace wig & beyonce lace wig

Noobinator

"Royalmewigs offers cheap and high quality" WOW that is awsome. I wonder if they have merkin's.