Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

95 Impreza wagon misfire code

Thread: 95 Impreza wagon misfire code

Noobinator

Default 95 Impreza wagon misfire code

My 95 Impreza wagon is throwing a misfire code for cylinder 4. Can I just replace the plugs and wires from a generic auto parts store or would I have to get them directly from Subaru itself. I'm not trying to make the car anything special, just fix it and get me from place to place. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Noobinator

Aftermarket parts work but factory are better. If you feel the missfire when first started and then goes away you might want to check for a head gasket leak.
    Have a nice day

Suby Talker

The first thing I would do is a compression test on all four cylinders. If 4 is a little low lets concentrate on that one. Low would be anything with a greater difference of 5 percent of the other cylinders. You can do a poor mans leak down test on that cylinder. heres how. If you have a compression tester chances are you can hook up shop air to the cylinder. You need to turn that cylinder up to TDC for the cylinder. A quick way to do that is turn the engine over in the direction of rotation. Watch the rocker arms for the intake valves go in then back out(these are the rockers on the top side of the head) next watch for the piston to come up to the top through the spark plug hole for that cylinder. This is TDC for the cylinder you are working on. Now secure the crank shaft from moving(remember your engine is just an air pump and we are about to give it air). Plug in shop air throught the spark plug and listen. you want to crack the throttle body open and listen for rushing air. this will sound like a mid to loud hissing sound not an ocean seashell sound. If you hear it at the TB your intake valves are leaking, now listen at the tail pipe this one is harder because the air has to travel so far it is better if you remove the exhaust pipe at the cylinder head to listen, this tells you if the exhaust valves are leaking. For the rings you have to pull the oil fill off and listen there. remember we are looking for mid to loud hissing not seashell sound. last but certainly not least pull your radiator cap and watch for bubbles this is a blown head gasket usually. Also if the spark plug hole next to that cylinder makes a hissing sound that means the gasket is blown between cylinders. Sorrry this is a lot of info you can call us anytime and we can also help you over the phone.

thanks
    Eric
    AMS
    5-axis cnc cylinder head porter
    master machinist/engine builder
    1-800-210-8675