Hello all, my name is Chris. I am an Audi guy but my GF is getting a 2001 Outback Limited....so I am sure I will be working on it at some point. I am a good mechanic and do all my own work on my Audis, but I have never worked on a Subaru and I am a big fan of forums so I wanted join and say hi.
I drove the car today for a good 50 miles. It is a very nice car. It runs great, no leaks or noises. The clutch is strong and the shifter is tight. Brakes are good except the ABS light comes on. There is almost no rust and it is a Vermont car. It has some road rash but like I said, it's a VT car. And the price is good.
So my questions to start are:
1) Shop manual, any good ones available on CD?
2) Where do you guys buy parts...online?
3) Is this called a "Legacy Outback" or just an "Outback"?
4) ABS light comes on but only when you start driving the car, not when at rest after starting. Speed sensor or something else?
5) Are there affordable fault code scanning options available?
Good place for discount original Sub parts. I use a $160 code reader that I bought at Pep Boys. I think its at Actron (might be misspelled). It read the Subaru codes well. As for a manual, I bought a Haynes, but wish I had a better one. Legacy Outback is different from the Impreza Outback, so I call them Legacys. Does her ABS work while braking? I don't know much about the ABS system, but this is a great forum to find stuff. Good luck.
Thanks for the parts link, I'll check it out. The ABS is not functional. I took it out on a dirt road and mashed on the brakes and they just locked up. I get the codes scanned and see what it says I guess.