Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Emissions Probroblem 1999 Outback LTD

Thread: Emissions Probroblem 1999 Outback LTD

Suby Talker

Default Emissions Probroblem 1999 Outback LTD

I have been getting evap codes recently on my 1999 Outback Wagon. It happens mostly on long trips, but is getting more frequest. I am replacing the fuel filler tube, gasket and ring (already did the gas cap). There is rust on the inside and outside of the filler tube. Should I also replace the pressure valve while I have it apart? Any other thoughts too? Thanks

Suby Talker

Default Quick update

A quick update, The top of the fuel filler pipe and the pressure valve were rusted into 1 big crumbling piece. So I guess the pressure valve needs to be replaced too. I looked and didn't find any other rust on the car. I'm going to coat the new assembly with Zep Iron Clad or about 4 coats of rustolium before reassembly. At least it only cost me about $240.00 in parts. I almost got a smoke test done first but the rust was obviously the problem.

Noobinator

Quote Originally Posted by dbwhiteman1 View Post
    A quick update, The top of the fuel filler pipe and the pressure valve were rusted into 1 big crumbling piece. So I guess the pressure valve needs to be replaced too. I looked and didn't find any other rust on the car. I'm going to coat the new assembly with Zep Iron Clad or about 4 coats of rustolium before reassembly. At least it only cost me about $240.00 in parts. I almost got a smoke test done first but the rust was obviously the problem.
    Yes we always replace the valve on the filler neck, when doing the neck
    Check out our Facebook Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

flausebn

I accept with information:The top of the fuel filler pipe and the pressure valve were rusted into 1 big crumbling piece.

Suby Talker

Did the job today. I even remembered to mark the vacuum hoses so the went back on in the right place. The old rusted filler pipe broke as I removed it. If you are planning to do this job, make sure you get new screws/bolts for the filler pipe. I replaced the 3 top phillip screws with 5mm bolts. I had to drill out the screws as they were rusted in place. Luckily they were mild steel, I also replced the hoses and clamps. It would be a lot harder if I didn't have access to a lift. Lots of Zep Iron Clad should keep the pipe from rusting for a while.