Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

2001 Legacy CV Boots / Axle

Thread: 2001 Legacy CV Boots / Axle

SubieF*cker

Default 2001 Legacy CV Boots / Axle

I bought a clunker Legacy w/ 68000 miles for $3900.00. Car runs very good but needs knock sensor. I also see both CV boots are torn and wonder if it is really worth the 400 bucks or so in parts not to mention all the hard work required to install them.
    I am mechanically inclined but never replaced Axles. My concern is ripping apart everything only to end up not getting the old axle out in one piece and or not getting the new one in. I would need to tow it.
    Opinions appreciated!

Suby Talker

It's not hard to replace the axles. Just unbolt the pivot point of the suspension, and a few other parts and the axles will pull off. (Buy a manual) I have done several FWD cars and it's not that hard. The older Subs hace roll pins holding the DOJs in place, I dont know if the newer ones do.

I agree with dbwhitman1 they are not that hard to replace and unless your getting those axles from a dealer and having someone else put the in it shouldnt be more than $150 tops. If you really want to save yourself some money you can actually buy just the boots but make sure you clean all the old grease out and put new grease in because since the got torn they probably got dirt and crap in them.

Noobinator

I just had my CV boots replaced today at the dealer.I have approx 65,000 miles...what is normal wear and tear for these things..is that reasonable??

Suby Talker

They usually last longer than that but road debris and driving off road or in bad conditions can shorten the boot lives.

Noobinator

send me a pm and i can get u some for about 45 bucks each from auto zone

Noobinator

it depends if u drive on smoth or rough roads
    depends the life of a cv boot