Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

WRX ALL Cylinders missfiring?

Thread: WRX ALL Cylinders missfiring?

orion3

Default WRX ALL Cylinders missfiring?

I recently purchased an 04 wrx through an auction. The car is completely stock and has 60,000 miles. The engine is missfiring very badly. At idle the engine shakes side to side on the mount, wont rev past 4500, and has very little power. The turbo sounds like its spooling just fine, but i dont have a boost guage so i dont really know. After running a diagnostic i found that all 4 cylinders are missfiring. The mechanic that ran the diagnostic told me that i need to replace all the coils and spark plugs.

I ask this, does it seem likely that all the coils would be bad? What are the chances that they would all of them would fail at the same time? Has anyone ever had an issue like tis before? I have heard of one or two cylinder misfires but all 4?

Also, after inspecting the engine i noticed there is a thin metal braided wire that is routed underneath the intake and ends somewhere near the turbo. It is unplugged and i cant seem to figure out where it is supposed to be plugged into. Any ideas?

I would really appreciate any tips. I dont want to spend $400 on parts i really dont need. Thanks

Um, can you post a picture of the wire that you found. This should not be happening to a low mileage WRX. Unless, by chance did that past owner have the car heavily modded? If the car was mis-treated before, that could also be the culperate!

lowlysubaruguy

OK did you get and real tests done on it or did he pull codes and say it needs coils and plugs.

AUCTION CARS make me go ugh. Any chance it was running like crap when you bought it. If this was in my shop id have ran a vacumm gauge test looking for the dreaded over rev syndrom and bent valves.

makes me go hum like spending money do you. Timing belt might also have jumped. I dont want to flame anyone one but there are some STUPID DRIVERS buying WRXs. Many arent smart enough to run a lawn mower let alone a turbo charged car. So after they kill it cant sell them or trade them they put them in an auction and hope some think wow what a deal. I did not put this in here to offend you just to make you aware of what happens to auction cars. And am not implying WRX owners are stupid just the ones that are.

If 10 of my customers buy cars at auction 11 of them will have a major underlying issue. I could pull a stack of repair orders out with some hefty bills all on cars some poor person thaough I was getting a great deal

So before throwing all four coils and plugs at it make sure the diagnosis was not shot in the dark. And to answer your question I have never seen more than 2 coils bad at one time I have seen three injectors but not 4 coils on late model Subarus and I would venture to state the injectors were plugged a result of bad fuel not a design or failure at one shot.

Suby Talker

Your mechanic is probably right. You need to replace your spark plugs as these are one of the primary causes of misfiring. I highly recommend beru spark plugs as they are the best in the market.

Suby Talker

Its not very common for all 4 to misfire, but it can happen. If all the coils went bad at the same time maybe something happen to the car. Is there sighs of the car being in a flood? The easy fix is to replace and see what the results are.
    Racing Performance Motorsport
    5412 Bolsa Ave Unit #F
    Hunt. Bch. CA, 92649
    (714) 892-5757

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noobinator

if it was heavily modified / tuned perhaps the tuning map being run is to intense for the stock applications as many heavy modifiers remove all parts to sell the vehicle for more money as most people wont want to buy a modified car

Noobinator

Its not actual accepted for all 4 to abort, but it can appear. If all the coils went bad at the aforementioned time maybe something appear to the car. Is there sighs of the car getting in a flood? The simple fix is to alter and see what the after-effects are.