Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

91' Shudder/Shimey

Thread: 91' Shudder/Shimey

Noobinator

Default 91' Shudder/Shimey

Recently purchased a 91' Legacy w/ 181K mi.

Has an oil leak off the front of the motor. Is this typical?

Also has a shudder or shimey while turning slowly (ie...in/out of driveway). You can feel it in the steering and around the e-brake lever. Almost becomes a bounce.

I figure it is either the AWD (differential oil smells burnt) or the power steering pump. Not low on oil, but might not be powerful enough to turn steering and operate brakes at same time. This may cause undue strain on serpentine belt then causing engine bounce?

Thanks,
    D
    1991 Subaru Legacy 181K-mi

Noobinator

Quote Originally Posted by damone View Post
    Also has a shudder or shimey while turning slowly (ie...in/out of driveway). You can feel it in the steering and around the e-brake lever. Almost becomes a bounce.
    D
    Well, D, I'm a "D" as well, and yours sounds like my situation re this
    "shudder". Check (Search) re "clutch pack" ('clutchpack'?) on the
    UltimateSubaru.ORG forum, and you'll see some disturbing suggestions
    that this is an un-cheap transmission issue. --or, MAYBE, something to
    do with differences in tire size (I have badly worn tires and ...).
    With my '91 181k Legacy L+ auto.trans. wagon, the shudder has been
    only occasional.

Good luck to us both?

--Anon., II

Noobinator

Thanks Anon.

The mechanic siad somethign about wheel size and AWD binding due to that issue. If it is clutch packs would it happen no matter how you are driving it. Mine only shudders during turning movements.

Noobinator

Btw, did you have some flashing light on the dash (POWER, for our year
    Legacys, I think) when starting the care AFTER a shuddering event?

Here are links to the UltiSub. chatter in two threads,
    and the operative search term is "torque bind". It's something that is
    checked for by TURNING, so, no, unlikely to show itself running straight.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=78467
    http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...or+torque+bind

(latter URLink's taken off of Search and might not work ... ?)

Good luck,
    --Anon.II

Noobinator

Only flashing light is the "manual" "power" light for the shifting type does flash upon ignition.

I figured this was to alert me I was utilizing the auto tranny vs, shifting myself.

I will read up thanks.

Noobinator

My 1990 Legacy had the same issue and it turned out to be the computer that was causing the torque bind condition. I'm just throwing that out there since I did a lot of research while I had the problem and nobody thought it would be the computer...it doesn't seem likely, but it happened to me. I got it replaced and the problem is gone.

Noobinator

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    My 1990 Legacy had the same issue and it turned out to be the computer that was causing the torque bind condition. I'm just throwing that out there since I did a lot of research while I had the problem and nobody thought it would be the computer...it doesn't seem likely, but it happened to me. I got it replaced and the problem is gone.
    What did it take to replace the computer?

Noobinator

Thanks for your suggestion but still I feel I can find a better one then this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Noobinator

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    My 1990 Legacy had the same issue and it turned out to be the computer that was causing the torque bind condition. ...
    Allan, did your Legacy have the torque bind regularly,
    or infrequently? Mine has had it only infrequently --very,
    as one goes back in time-- , sometimes operating w/o issue,
    sometimes with the shudder at one point in say an evening's
    outing but then doing okay later in same night (shopping, say).
    This has gone on for I'd guess 5-7yrs, now (the first time was
    so out-of-the-blue and puzzling that it didn't much register until
    later occurrences started to accumulate).

(Ditto to BrianHarris01, I guess -- same thing?)

--Anon.II
    Last edited by Anon.II; 12-31-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Noobinator

I havnt had the prob since I took out the rear drivelaine. No more torque bind.

Got a solenoid out of a junker for $20. Havnt installed yet, but not sure I need AWD anyway. Might just leave it a FWD only.

Noobinator

My Legacy had the issue all the time...every time I drove it. The computer is to the left of the steering column. It just needs to be taken out and a good one put in.

By the way, the power light would blink a few times when I started the car and the code it was throwing was the duty c solenoid...this threw me off and several mechanics that replaced the solenoid and even the clutch pack...in other words, the problem can be the computer even if the codes point to something else.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Allan; 01-10-2010 at 11:50 PM.