Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

GPSMap76 doesn't work in 2008 Forester?

Thread: GPSMap76 doesn't work in 2008 Forester?

dsly

Question GPSMap76 doesn't work in 2008 Forester?

Just picked up my 2008 Forester, and my GPS won't work in it. Worked in the 1999 Forester I traded in. Works fine standing outside the car, but get in and set it on the dash, and all signals lost within a second.
    Is there some type of coating on the windshield that's doing this?
    What's the fix?

I have never heard of anything like that before......

I can set mine in the cup holder and it will still read. There has to be a barrier or something in the windshield. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Or some interference of some sort.

What other options do you have on the car?

dsly

Default Nothing that should affect it...

Quote Originally Posted by fishingltj View Post
    I have never heard of anything like that before......

I can set mine in the cup holder and it will still read. There has to be a barrier or something in the windshield. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Or some interference of some sort.

What other options do you have on the car?
    No other options that I can think of.....it's just the base Forester. Is yours a GPSMAP76C? Or do you have the new one with the more sensitive antenna, the GPSMAP76Cx?

lowlysubaruguy

Not that I have a clue but I bet the radios antenna amplifier is sending out waves that are washing out reception to your GPS

Subaru more than likely has no way too override its wave form so you should contact the manufacturer of your GPS and see if they can set it up on a differerent frequency or channel.

I am curious about the fix becasue i am sure I will face it as a whats wrong with my car soon enough so make sure you respond if you do solve the problem.

You might disconnect your radio fuse and see if it is the culpret.

That sounds like the right answer there lowly.....

dsly

Smile So far so good...

Picked up the external car antenna from Garmin. Plugged it in, set in on the dash with the unit, and it seems to work OK. Will test it for a couple of days and post the results.

cool, how much did the external antenna run?

dsly

Smile Garmin Antenna for car

The antenna was about $45 CAN at Futureshop. Has 9 feet of cable, and is waterproof and magnetic. First tried setting it on the dash behind the GPS, but results were inconsistent. Whatever is interfering with the signal is doing it bigtime! So now the wire goes out the window, and the magnetic antenna is stuck on the roof. 8-( Have to figure out some way to get the wire out without having to leave the window down a bit. Don't want to crunch the wire by closing the window.
    With it on the roof, reception is pretty good..... +/- 1 metre a lot of the time, and +/-2 to 4 at the worst times.
    Will test it some more this week, and post.

lowlysubaruguy

Default routing the wire

is this remote antenna on a very thin hard cord. I mean thin. If so I route them under the windshield moulding on the windshield ( sparyt glass cleaenr into the area and work it in witha plastic spoon handle from your local drive through choke and puke) route them down and then under the weatherstrip on the body ususally just down far enough you cant see it then neatly tuck it up under the dash wire tie the hanging part.

John81

Quote Originally Posted by lowlysubaruguy View Post
    is this remote antenna on a very thin hard cord. I mean thin. If so I route them under the windshield moulding on the windshield ( sparyt glass cleaenr into the area and work it in witha plastic spoon handle from your local drive through choke and puke) route them down and then under the weatherstrip on the body ususally just down far enough you cant see it then neatly tuck it up under the dash wire tie the hanging part.
    Nicely done)

Noobinator

If you have a tire pressure monitor system the signal to the message board can mess up the gps

rupbul

I accept with information:The antenna was about $45 CAN at Futureshop. Has 9 feet of cable, and is waterproof and magnetic. First tried setting it on the dash behind the GPS, but results were inconsistent. Whatever is interfering with the signal is doing it bigtime.