Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

94 Legacy Intermittent Starting Issue

Thread: 94 Legacy Intermittent Starting Issue

Noobinator

Default 94 Legacy Intermittent Starting Issue

I'm driving a 1994 Automatic Legacy Wagon. I have been experiencing intermittent starting issues.
    I replaced the starter and the battery which had a bad cell. I noticed some corrosion on the positive cable to the battery terminal connector. I cut it back about 2cm to reveal nice shiny copper. I replaced and crimped on a new ring terminal connector after cleaning it up. I also put a little vasoline on the terminal as well.

I'm still in the same boat with intermittent starting. The car gets power, yet the starter does NOT click. I can walk away from the vehicle for a few hours or overnight. When I return, pop the key in the ignition and it fires right up. This has been going on for about a year. It hasn't been a huge deal since I only drive my car 2-3x week 100-150 miles weekly.

One other piece is that the car will start if the car is jumped.

Well I was about to say it sounds like a cam or crankshaft position sensor to me untill you said it'll start if you give it a jump. On that note I'm kind of peeing in the wind here when I say this when it doesn't start have you tried wiggling your key in the lock cylinder to see if maybe the lock cylinder is maybe not just worn, and have you checked to see if your getting power to the starter with a multi meter when it won't start?

Quote Originally Posted by dieselrab View Post
    Well I was about to say it sounds like a cam or crankshaft position sensor to me untill you said it'll start if you give it a jump. On that note I'm kind of peeing in the wind here when I say this when it doesn't start have you tried wiggling your key in the lock cylinder to see if maybe the lock cylinder is maybe not just worn, and have you checked to see if your getting power to the starter with a multi meter when it won't start?
    ^ What he says. I had a 94 Legacy and the key cylinder went bad and did the exact same thing. It's also possible since it will start if jumped that you have an intermittent ground, especially on the new terminals you just installed.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

Noobinator

Is the key cylinder easy to replace? I am mostly inept when it comes to these things.

No, according to my repair manual it actually quite a pain because your have to take off the steering wheel then you have to remove the ignition switch and then drill out some screws, and use a screw extractor to get them out. So there is actually quite a bit you have to do just to get that little part out.

Noobinator

It ended up being the starter. Next I'm on to replace the fuel filler neck.