Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Front wheel scrubbing on hard turns

Thread: Front wheel scrubbing on hard turns

echrisconnor

Default Front wheel scrubbing on hard turns

Recent problem and it' seems erratic. This is on a 2000 Outback wagon. On hard turns my front right tire makes scrubbing noises. It seems like it's binding and doesn't want to roll smoothly. It's fine in a straight line and doesn't seem to do it all the time. No CV joint noise, but it seems like possibly and axel or differential problem.

Any suggestions?

Chris

hmm... the tire is rubbing, is that what you mean by scrubbing? Because if it's rubbing somewere then that shouldn't have anything to do with a cv shaft. Possibly the wheel bearing maybe. You jacked it up and spun the wheel or how do you know that its binding up or that's the way it seems when your driving it?

Quote Originally Posted by echrisconnor View Post
    Recent problem and it' seems erratic. This is on a 2000 Outback wagon. On hard turns my front right tire makes scrubbing noises. It seems like it's binding and doesn't want to roll smoothly. It's fine in a straight line and doesn't seem to do it all the time. No CV joint noise, but it seems like possibly and axel or differential problem. Any suggestions?

Chris
    You're going to have to define "scrubbing" better. Rubber rubbing on metal? Or halfshaft binding as it turns? is it a metallic noise, or non-metallic? Does the right front end shudder or jounce when this occrs? Also, does it only occur on right-hand turns or also on hard left-hand turns to the right front wheel too?
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

echrisconnor

Scrubbing typically referrs to some sort of lateral movement of the tire accompanied by little chirping noises. The best way I can describe what's happening is that on a hard slow turn like in a parking garage the wheel makes a little screech, and a small hop, sreech hop, screech... There's no significant binding feedback through the steering wheel, but it seems like a binding thing and not alignment.

Like I said earlier, it's fine in a straight line and you don't feel or hear anything for faster turns. I've never had a binding CV joint before so I don't quite know what happens if they bind. Of course I'm hoping it's not a differential thing. One thing of note is that the front right CV was replaced about a year ago with a rebuilt NAPA part. Coincidentally (or not) that's the corner that's making making noises now.

echrisconnor

Default lower ball joint

OK, I jacked up the front of the car. The front wheels spin in opposite directions freely. No binding. The CVs on both side rotate freely even when the wheel is turned hard in either direction. The only thing I found was a torn boot on the lower ball joint on that right side. I put a pry bar between it and the suspension arm and checked for any play. None that I could find. Hmm...

Chris

well when you say slowly how slowly like 2 or so mph because I remeber back in school when you turn the wheel say to the left for example, then the right tire actually is turned more to the left than the right and vice versa for when turned to the right. So that might be a normal thing because the outer wheel is trying to turn harder than the inner wheel so there might be a little hop but then again i went to school to work on semi's that haul 80,000 lbs so it might be different for cars as well as is your differential a limited slip becuase if it's locking together while your turning then the wheels are going to be trying to turn the exact same amount as the other whisle one is going to need to travel a shorter distance then the other so this may give a scrub, hop symptom as your discribing. O and by the way this is an AWD outback correct?

thedrmmr5

Recent problem and it' seems erratic. This is on a 2000 Outback wagon. On hard turns my front right tire makes scrubbing noises. It seems like it's binding and doesn't want to roll smoothly. It's fine in a straight line and doesn't seem to do it all the time. No CV joint noise, but it seems like possibly and axel or differential problem.

Any suggestions?

Chris
    your swaybar is not in the right position. check to see if the inside of your rim is getting scraped on the front wheels.

thedrmmr5

did you recently do work on the front wheels

thedrmmr5

Scrubbing typically referrs to some sort of lateral movement of the tire accompanied by little chirping noises. The best way I can describe what's happening is that on a hard slow turn like in a parking garage the wheel makes a little screech, and a small hop, sreech hop, screech... There's no significant binding feedback through the steering wheel, but it seems like a binding thing and not alignment.

Like I said earlier, it's fine in a straight line and you don't feel or hear anything for faster turns. I've never had a binding CV joint before so I don't quite know what happens if they bind. Of course I'm hoping it's not a differential thing. One thing of note is that the front right CV was replaced about a year ago with a rebuilt NAPA part. Coincidentally (or not) that's the corner that's making making noises now.
    your swaybar was not connected correctly. its a simple fix. lift the car and check to see if your swaybar seems to be hanging somewhat close to the ground. if it is, your swaybar needs to be rotated back torward the center of the wheel. there is a connector that connects the swaybar to the lower control arm, this connector should be more verticle than horizontal. unbolt one end of the connector on both sides of the car, and rotate the swaybar upward and bolt the connector back onto the swaybar.
    Last edited by thedrmmr5; 10-12-2009 at 09:24 PM.