Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

EFI or not question

Thread: EFI or not question

DabRain

Default EFI or not question

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I mess up.

I live in New Zealand and travel about 60miles to a from work each day, so the fuel bill gets over $120 per week and I have been trying to reduce my fuel usage by any means possible and I have come to the conclusion that the EFI unit just wont let you do anything to alter the economy.

I am thinking of ditching the EFI and fitting a Carburetor, has anyone ever done this?

BTW I am running a 93 Legacy wagon with a twin cam EJ20 (ie not turbo or 2 cams/head).

Any thoughts or advise would be very helpful

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DabRain View Post
    I am thinking of ditching the EFI and fitting a Carburetor, has anyone ever done this?
    You'd be going backwards. The EFI is programmed to give metered application of fuel to the engine in each individual cylinder, whereas a carb pours fuel out almost willy-nilly. That's why all cars use EFI to meet fuel economy regs whereas just the brute power trucks still use carbs.

A good tune-up would help more than anything else.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

DabRain

Well, OK!!! Thank you for your comment Scorpion, but how do I do a tune up after fitting new plugs and running injector clean through the system??

Quote Originally Posted by DabRain View Post
    Well, OK!!! Thank you for your comment Scorpion, but how do I do a tune up after fitting new plugs and running injector clean through the system??
    How many miles on your Suby? Have you replaced the timing chain? Try also running a few bottles of fuel-injector cleaner thru the gas tank one at a time to keep the injectors working at peak.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

As well as you can use a multi-meter and ohm the resistance on your coil pack and wires because if you don't have a hot enough spark then you have un-used fuel going right out the tail pipe Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subaru coil resistance.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	69