Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Gas gauge issues

Thread: Gas gauge issues

Zeniq

Default Gas gauge issues

I've recently noticed that my Legacy's gas gauge may be lying to me. I normally get roughly 350 to 400 miles per tank, but lately I'm barely getting to 300 miles before the gauge indicates I'm low on fuel. I almost always calculate miles/gallon when I refuel, and since I noticed the problem I'm still getting 30mpg. After I noticed that, I started keeping track of how much fuel I've been putting into it and it always seems like less than a full tank; I think it's a 14 gallon and lately its only been taking 9 or 10 gallons, so either my tank shrunk or the gauge is wrong!

Does anyone here know if this is a common problem, or how to test/fix it?

Noobinator

Default RE: Gas gauge issues

Possibly your fuel sending unit is acting up and giving wrong signals. It might show the low fuel light but you still have a quarter tank of gas in it so that's why it's only taking 9-10 gallons to fill up. Keep a full gas container in your trunk and when your low fuel light comes on, don't fill it up - keep it going till you run out of gas and note your mileage - see if you're getting that extra 50-100 miles you're missing. If that's the case, then you will have to replace the fuel sending unit - you should be able to get a used one at the junkyard for fairly cheap and it's pretty easy to replace yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Faja View Post
    Possibly your fuel sending unit is acting up and giving wrong signals. It might show the low fuel light but you still have a quarter tank of gas in it so that's why it's only taking 9-10 gallons to fill up. Keep a full gas container in your trunk and when your low fuel light comes on, don't fill it up - keep it going till you run out of gas and note your mileage - see if you're getting that extra 50-100 miles you're missing. If that's the case, then you will have to replace the fuel sending unit - you should be able to get a used one at the junkyard for fairly cheap and it's pretty easy to replace yourself.
    Or a better less chancy way is to go refuel as soon as the low fuel light comes on and see how much you added. The tank (of course) can't shrink so if it's a 14 gal tank and you're only adding 9 at the light then you should have 5 more gallons. I'd agree with Faja that a fubar fuel sender is the likely cause. It would be an interesting effort to run it until it chokes out and see how many more miles you can actually squeeze out. But do like Faja says and take some emergency fuel along.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

lol sounds fun can I come i'll bring the beer!!