Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Center vents not coming on consistently - 99 SUS (Legacy) Ltd Sedan

Thread: Center vents not coming on consistently - 99 SUS (Legacy) Ltd Sedan

watson524

Question Center vents not coming on consistently - 99 SUS (Legacy) Ltd Sedan

Hi all,

Another question on my 99 Ltd Sedan. About 3 weeks ago I hit the AC (top and bottom) and nothing was coming out the console vents but it definitely was on and air was in there somewhere. I moved the fan speed from 0 to 4, no change, hit the recirc button, no change. Finally after a few miles, it sorted. The other day, same thing, finally sorted and took less time to do it. Today, went for at least 10 minutes and still don't have anything out of 2 console vents and I don't think out of the feet vents either (I put on feet only so I'd really feed it, nothing). It comes out the side vents, and the little defrost vents on the side as well as full blast out of the defrost vent right under the windshield. The air that comes out is cold so I'm not worried that the AC system is going but am wondering if something is stuck. I can't remember, but when the defrost is on, do the big side vents throw air? I think so and if they do, then it's like it's stuck on defrost.

I am well versed in opening up the center console above the radio because I've had to replace some button lights before and also made a bracket to tuk in there years ago for my Sirius radio.

Wondering what I should look at/for? Maybe a fuse going or something just stuck? Definitely want to get this sorted ASAP.

thanks!

This is a cable actuated air door, so I'd be puzzled why it will work for certain vents and not the others. Did it start right after you had the dash pulled? The cable lock may have slipped in it's reference position and may have enough slip to eventually slide into place due to road vibration, etc.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

watson524

Nope, I haven't had the dash pulled in about 3 years when the last lightbulb went. It had to go out again last nite and it finally started working, just randomly started working so I'm puzzled. Maybe something vibrates into place like you said? Do you know how I can check things?

You should be able to pull the dash bezel off around the radio and HVAC controls and watch them cycle and with the fan running feel the effect as you change positions. You might have to pull the HVAC control set (leave it all connected) and actuate it in a better viewing position.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500