Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Inside trunk latch not working - 99 SUS (Legacy) Ltd Sedan

Thread: Inside trunk latch not working - 99 SUS (Legacy) Ltd Sedan

watson524

Question Inside trunk latch not working - 99 SUS (Legacy) Ltd Sedan

Hi all,

I have a 99 SUS Ltd Sedan and suddenly the insude trunk latch stopped working. You pull it and there's no "click" or resistence, it just lifts but doesn't open the trunk. It happened suddenly so I'm not thinking it stretched over 10 years but rather snapped or got disconnected.

Any ideas where I should look and if it can be fixed fairly easily?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by watson524 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a 99 SUS Ltd Sedan and suddenly the insude trunk latch stopped working. You pull it and there's no "click" or resistence, it just lifts but doesn't open the trunk. It happened suddenly so I'm not thinking it stretched over 10 years but rather snapped or got disconnected.

Any ideas where I should look and if it can be fixed fairly easily?

thanks!
    Can you have someone else actuate the latch while you watch the trunk release? The cable may have broken in one spot at either end. Also make sure that the latch lock mechanism is well lubed and lube the actuating cable also. You can pull the latch mechanism off the floor mount and see if the cable is still attached there, and check at the trunk end also.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

watson524

Thanks for the tips. I will have to try this when my husband gets home tonite so I can watch things. From what I remember, I can't see the cable at the trunk end but do you know how I can pull the interior of the trunk apart to see it? And also - I'm not sure how to pull the pull mechanism off the floor mount and don't want to just go yanking etc so any help would be appreciated. thanks!

If I recall, the latch cable runs along inside the trim molding on the back trunk body, so you may pry that back a bit and peer inside with a flashlight. There should be a cable actuator that extends thru into the latch mechanism and slides when you pull the interior latch. With the trunk lid up and unlatched and someone working the latch in the cabin back and forth, you should see the cable moving. You can also try using a screwdriver blade and closing the latch in the trunk so you can see if the cable is working. Is there an inside-the-trunk release also?
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

I assume the trunk latch works off the key in the rear deck?
    Retired USN

watson524

Smile Yep, problem solved

I finally had a few free minutes to look at this today. Somehow the cancel switch got put in the up position on the inside of the trunk so flipping that back down solved my issue.

Love the easy problems.

Quote Originally Posted by watson524 View Post
    I finally had a few free minutes to look at this today. Somehow the cancel switch got put in the up position on the inside of the trunk so flipping that back down solved my issue.

Love the easy problems.
    Thanks for posting the solution. That always helps someone else down the road.
    Retired USN

Raphoroni

Default Tighten Trunk Cable?

I happen to have the same problem on my 02' legacy gt. I have checked the lever and have determined that the cable is not broken, just loose. Does anybody know how i can tighten it so that the trunk lever will work again?

Noobinator

Pull the carpet up near your trunk lever and the cable has probaby come undone from it's stay.
    Strut