Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What can I put on my car to make me get better gas milage?

Thread: What can I put on my car to make me get better gas milage?

TERRYREAD

Default What can I put on my car to make me get better gas milage?

I drive a 2001 subaru forester, and I get about 23 to a gallon. Which I know is good, but when your driving from south riverside to west irvine every day, 23 seems like nothing. Is there an intake or something I can do to my car to get better millage? I take very good care of it, oil changes reguraly and what not. I want to be able to get the most out of my gas, considering its $3.41 a gallon here.

Roze

you can make sure that your tires are fully inflated the side of your tire will tell you MAX PSI inflate them to that,second remove anything that you dont need from your car to reduce weight for example books,suitcases,anything that adds extra weight. you can also use cruise control if you have it and set it to a safe speed,also driving the speed limit saves gas Mythbusters proved it. you can also reduce fuel use by only using A/C in city driving, that and regular vehicle maintenance will prolong life of your car. i hope that you have a safe trip.

TIMMAY

1) Keep an eye on your tire pressure 2) Keep your 'foot' offthe gas pedal, driving attitude has more to do with the mileage than you might believe. Other than re-engineering the heads,you probably won't get any benefit from aftermarket add-ons,Good luck...

vtecpakiness

the tornado fuel saver is a little device that fits in the intake and costs around 50 bucks. its supposed to boost your gas mileage and raise the power on your car. http://www.tornadofuel-saver.com/

PETERW

put a mule and a harness on it

Taylor

Keep the car empty and light.Make sure the tire pressure is correct.A Green or K&N Intake will slightly increase gas mileage by 1-3mpg.

lowlysubaruguy

Default donts

I wish I had a picture of the damage one of those little whirrly gig devices did as it came apart and entered the combustion chamber in little pieces. I do suspect it made some neat noises for momennt or two if your into cool noises though. My opinion is a $9 part in the intake isnt going to produce some miracle mileage solution that manufacturers overlooked in there millions of dollars of devleopment of an intake system.

And to the other post on run your car on empty. While running with only 5 gallons of fuel vrs a full tank might make a miniscule amount of fuel mileage increase becausee your car will weigh about 100 pounds less. Youd save more money long term by loosing 25 pounds yourself and not stopping for gas every 100 miles. Now also along with that empty tank scenarior moisture develops in avery air space outside as the temp changes throughout the day. So running your tank dry makes more air volumn therefor more moisture is also collected in your fuel tank. The end result is more water in your fuel especially in teh winter. Water molecules reduce HP and fuel mileage. I have no scientific data here but its probably been studied. You will more than likely find the amoutn of fuel you saved in say a years driving was equal to the fuel lost ina ear due to moisture coontent. not to mention water promotes all kinds of other issues which most effect fuel mileage as well.

keepitlow

I got about the same mileage with my '04 4 cylinder. It seems with AWD they suck down more gas than 2 wheel drive cars. A price we have to pay for AWD. My wife gets 26 mpg on her impala 6 cylinder.

John81

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMAY View Post
    1) Keep an eye on your tire pressure 2) Keep your 'foot' offthe gas pedal, driving attitude has more to do with the mileage than you might believe. Other than re-engineering the heads,you probably won't get any benefit from aftermarket add-ons,Good luck...
    A nice advice indeed!

Noobinator

Question FWD relay

I noticed in an 04 forester xs in the relay box in the engine room not the fuse box there was an empty socket labbled FWD relay I'm not sure if this will actually temporarlly convert the vehicle to front wheel drive or if it's just a coinsedence I wondered if it might save gas. maybe just pop it in just for the summer when the snow's gone to save gas. Also where could i buy one?
    Last edited by forestgreenforester; 05-29-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: addition to orriginal

lowlysubaruguy

Default sure go ahead

Quote Originally Posted by forestgreenforester View Post
    I noticed in an 04 forester xs in the relay box in the engine room not the fuse box there was an empty socket labbled FWD relay I'm not sure if this will actually temporarlly convert the vehicle to front wheel drive or if it's just a coinsedence I wondered if it might save gas. maybe just pop it in just for the summer when the snow's gone to save gas. Also where could i buy one?

You will save about as much on gas as you would if you took the spare tire out or lost 20 pounds. It will diable the AWD however it is possible to drive this long enough to create long term issues with the clutch for the AWD as it is designed to be cycled. Freezing it in one posiiton could cause the solenoid to fail or the clutch piston to become sticky. Causeing the AWD system ot fail or work incorrectly later on. If you need to save on gas loose weight or walk.

The only benifit would be the slightly longer life out of tires. However I will throw this in in an emergency panic stop the AWD forces can and will aid in stability traction and control so the $200 you might save over the lifespan of this car by putting it in front wheel drive might be concidered money not well saved.

I actually have a few custoemrs who have rigged a switch up to power this function up from inside so they can swithc in and out of AWD to FWD I discourage it for the reasons about however it has been done over and over again without issues.