Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Make a regular subaru wrx in to a sti?

Thread: Make a regular subaru wrx in to a sti?

LittleSis

Default Make a regular subaru wrx in to a sti?

Right now I have a big silverado truck...I want an STI BADLY!I have wanted one for a while.I might buy it, but I would rather buy a regular one (because of cost)My question is how much would it cost to make the car perform as much as a sti would?What would I need to do to it?Speed first...handling...ect..ectThank you for the helpif you have any cool subaru websites I'd love to see themThank you!

WillS

it cost afriend over 25k to do it.it is cheaper to buy the **** thing

Unknown

WRX's are still amazing vehicles-they handle awesome, perform even better, and are still the little sister/brother of the force known as the STi If you start with a stock WRX, heres what you need.Short ram air intake (I recommend NOT applying Cold Air-depends on where you live though) If your engine cannot breath, how can it perform better? ($250)Next, go full turbo back exhaust, eliminating as many cats as you can, this also depends on where you live based on emission standards/laws-include in this up-pipe and down-pipe...recommended 3" remember, catbacks do NOT add substantial (or really noticeable) hp to your vehicle. (approx $2000-$2400 depending on brand) most ppl go with invidia, apexi, hks, or apsNECESSITY WHEN DOING TURBOBACK EXHAUSTS...engine management...most wrx/sti drivers go with the Cobb Accessport. ($600)Once this is all done, get that baby dynoed!!!Getting a good set of tires makes all the difference handling wise and I would recommend going with a 18" wheel as wellAlthough not a necessity, I recommend a short throw shifter for sportier, crisper shifts.These few mods, although costly, will put you right up there with the STiI could go on for days about this but the best website is NASIOC for sure. Those guys know their stuff! And every last question you've probably have ever thought has been beaten to death at NASIOC I'm sure. Good luck!!

xxlilmissblueeyesxx

Do yourself a favor and buy a real car, get some american muscle, you will not regret it!!!!! I repeat you would not regret it. Get a 98-02 camaro, firebird formula, or trans am. They wax STIs stock and mustangs. Even the new mustang. They are great for auto x too if u like that

ql---lp

Don't listen to Tim A, an AWD car will launch on any american muscle car doing the quarter mile, and slap it around on a road course. Anyway, There is alot of difference between the two cars, inside and out. It would be a better bet to full out buy an STi if thats what your looking for. However if your looking to close to STi performance with aftermarket parts, it can be done cheaper then thought. Full aftermarket suspension (strut bars, sway bars, springs, shocks, and brace's) is one place to start. Then you look at the engine, you can easily maintain 300hp by simply running a full catless exhaust, swap the turbo , fuel pump, intercooler, and injectors to the STi spec (easily found on ebay or any subaru forum).Finally run a good engine managment unit, i recomend the COBB accesport, thats what im currently runninng, i am kinda in the same boat as you i own a wrx now and want an STi, good luck my friend.

StevenR

It's pretty easy to get STI power from a WRX especially if you start with the 2.5 Lr version. But the STI has so much more. The 6 speed tranny is practically bulletproof compares to the WRX tranny which is known to break if you shift too hard even at stock power level. The brembo breaks are pretty nice all though the 4 pots on the 06-07 are just as good on the street. If you can do it I would look for a nice used STI. They are out there. Check out IWSTI.com for some good info on them and a classified section local to you. One thing to think about though is do you need the STI power and can you use it. I have ridden in some tuned one and I have no need for an 11 second car. Not even a 12 second car. I am completely happy with my 06 WRX. You should go test drive one. You may feel it has plenty of power for you too.

mangamaniaciam

simple solution but this will cost some $$$find the first gen US WRX (2002) with the bug eyes and do a swap with the STI's EJ25 engine. the EJ25 will fit in the old WRX. stick in a TBE so it can breathe much more, upgrade the turbo to a HKS 3037 (not sure if they make it for the STI engine though) or a Greddy T67, a set of 272 cams and cam gears, be sure to get some some 660 - 820cc injectors so you don't run on the lean side. this will cost some bucks. $9k for the car, $5k for the EJ25, $1k for the TBE, $4k for the upgraded turbo, $800 for the cams and cam gears, $700 for the injectors, and unless you can do the swap yourself, a lot of money for the engine swapbut you'll have one sweet as hell sleeper WRXoh, go to NASIOC for the WRX/STI chat forum

MindzEyeWRX02

Quote Originally Posted by mangamaniaciam View Post
    simple solution but this will cost some $$$find the first gen US WRX (2002) with the bug eyes and do a swap with the STI's EJ25 engine. the EJ25 will fit in the old WRX. stick in a TBE so it can breathe much more, upgrade the turbo to a HKS 3037 (not sure if they make it for the STI engine though) or a Greddy T67, a set of 272 cams and cam gears, be sure to get some some 660 - 820cc injectors so you don't run on the lean side. this will cost some bucks. $9k for the car, $5k for the EJ25, $1k for the TBE, $4k for the upgraded turbo, $800 for the cams and cam gears, $700 for the injectors, and unless you can do the swap yourself, a lot of money for the engine swapbut you'll have one sweet as hell sleeper WRXoh, go to NASIOC for the WRX/STI chat forum
    Wow. where are you getting your prices from?? I paid 6k for my EJ257 shorty, TBE, EMS and a protune. 4k for a turbo upgrade??? you can get a FP Green for under $1500. he can mod some donor injectors and have them flow tested to keep cost down, $400 for TMIC, $100 for fuel pump. on top off all that he has to upgrade the tranny way before the turbo goes in and most likely soon after the EJ257 goes in.

I stuck with the 2.0L heads and cams to keep a high compression rate for a more aggressive bottom end. My tranny already feels like its going to die and its only been about 6 months with the EJ257. Saving for my 07 STi 6mt swap w/Dccd.

But even if he does do all that he wont be up to par with an STi. What good is power if you cant stop or handle the car?? the only reason he should go with a bugeye is if he likes the body style, if not then he would be better off with an STi in the long run. Besides, its a better platform to start off with all together.
    Last edited by MindzEyeWRX02; 04-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.

JRM

I can "wax" american muscle and even half ways modded STIs and EVOs with my 2002 wrx with under $3k in mods. Up the injectors and turbo for about a grand, bigger top mount ($400 used) get a full tbe w/uppipe, tune and boost controller and you are good. The STIs have a nice interior and a six speed with a 2.5, but for 10K more put that into your WRX and you will be way more happier. That being said, I do wanna sell my WRX for a 04 STI, just love the 04s....