Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

throttle response

Thread: throttle response

legacy99gt

Default throttle response

well now that i know that i dont have to fix anything on my car i want to inprove it does anyone know how to increase throttle response in a ej25 or know of any performance parts for it any info is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by legacy99gt View Post
    well now that i know that i dont have to fix anything on my car i want to inprove it does anyone know how to increase throttle response in a ej25 or know of any performance parts for it any info is greatly appreciated
    The general areas of concern are getting enough air in as easily as possible, and as much flow out as easily as possible. Constrictions gotta go. Look into new exhaust headers, new cold air intake kits, free-flow exhausts, higher performance spark plugs (multi-platinum). You might cruise the ads in some of the major import tuner magazines for what's available for Subie's.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

legacy99gt

well my brother said that if i changed to a lightweight flywheel it would help would it or does it matter

I am not sure that a light weight flywheel would give you a noticeable increase in response or not. I am guessing no but it could happen. If I were you I would do like scorpion suggested, work on air flow into and out of the engine. I personally am not a big fan of the true cold air intakes because they put the air filter right in front of the left front tire and low to the ground. That is all fine and dandy until you hit a deep puddle, if you are lucky you will just clog the air filter, if not you could hydrolock the engine. I have seen that happen before, but depending on your location and driving habits and all that you would probably be fine.

legacy99gt

thanks for the info guys considering your suggestions i do drive in alot of wet conditions since i live right next to a lake so as for an intake i think i might go with a short ram intake does anyone know of one that works for the ej25 that already has a port for the o2 sensor

O2 sensor goes in the exhaust stream. I'm guessing you meant the MAF sensor?
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

legacy99gt

ya thats what i ment i get those sensors confused all the time

Quote Originally Posted by legacy99gt View Post
    ya thats what i ment i get those sensors confused all the time
    S'okay. Have you cruised the tuner mags for Subie performance parts?
    Retired USN

legacy99gt

not recently but i have been searching online alot do you know of a plug and play chip that would work because i have found one but when i click on it it wont pull up the website. any good tips on mags i should look in or any other models of subie that would work with mine

GPenn09

You don't have to worry to much about the CAI and puddles as the area where it pulls from is pretty enclosed. I have a Cobb CAI (dont think they make em anymore) on my 2.5RS and I've nailed some puddles and been okay. I always try to lay off the gas and ride neutral when i hit them just in case though. The boxer engine sounds amazing at full throttle with a CAI too, as a plus, and is virtually silent at cruise. The lightweight flywheel will give you very noticeable gains as far as response especially under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd. I'm looking at getting an xACT streetlite flywheel. From what I've read the lightest flywheels aren't recommended for a daily driven vehicle. The streetlite is just a bit heavier to make shifting and starting more smooth. It also lowers gas mileage since acceleration is easier (lower rotational mass to spin up). There is a common misconception that they lower gas mileage when cruising but that is simply not true... I can explain the physics if you need it. Spark plugs on an unmodified engine probably won't make too big of a difference but they never hurt. Focus on air flow first for horse power, and lower power loss with lightweight flywheels/pullies.