Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Changing oil with seasons

Thread: Changing oil with seasons

keepitlow

Default Changing oil with seasons

Was told at the oil change shop that it is good to use 10-30w oil in the hot summer and go to 5-30w in the freezing winter.

What do you think? They put some 10-30 in it, but noticed the cap says 5-30, so wondered if it will hurt anything?

No it won't hurt anything, subaru recommends 5w-30 in all there vehicles but 10w-30 will not hurt anything. If you have your owners manual it will tell you in there what oil to use for what temp. If you want I can get that info for you too, just give me your year and model.

Maintenance and service
    New API Certification Mark (Starburst Mark)
    In choosing an oil, you want the proper quality and viscosity,
    as well as one that will add to fuel economy.
    The following table lists the recommended viscosities
    and applicable temperatures.
    When adding oil, different brands may be used together
    as long as they are the same API classification and
    SAE viscosity as those recommended by SUBARU.
    SAE viscosity number and applicable temperature
    *: 5W-30 is preferred.
    Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy.
    Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy.
    However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required
    to properly lubricate the engine.
    Use only engine oil with the recommended
    grade and viscosity
    The chart basically shows 5w-30 temp range is from -20 deg, F to over 100 deg, F
    10w-30 range is from 0 deg, F to over 100 deg, F

keepitlow

Thanks

I got a basic Forester 2.5 2004 model with about 90,000 miles.

Gets down below zero once in a while in winter, but most of the time is in the single digit to 20's. Summer is in the high 80's.

Do you think I should go with 10-30w year round?

I would stick with the 5-w30 if it was me but like I said you won't hurt anything if running the 10-30 in it. The only reasone I say that is because that is what subaru recommends. I have found that if you do everything that subaru recommends, including all the major and minor services, those cars will last an incredibly long time. The highest milage one I have seen was a 2000 outback, same drivetrain as yours, with 369,000 miles on it. It leaked a bit but ran great, I was amazed. So keep up on the maintinance and she will last for ever.

keepitlow

Thanks.

369,000 miles...I got hope then.

I was planning on running my car to 180,000 miles or more since I can't afford a new one.

asholo

6.2-inch monitor touch screen Subaru forester Car DVD Player with GPS Bluetooth TV

car DVD player online store
    Product Description:

•6.2-inch monitor touch screen double-Din complete car entertainment system
    •Compatible with DivX,MP4,MP3,multiple regions DVD, VCD, CD and CD-R/CD-RW
    •Built-in GPS function and Bluetooth for hands free call (play CD/DVD/FM while watching GPS navigation image)
    •Keys with touch sensor
    •OSD menu with graphical user interface
    •USB port and SD slots
    •Built in TV tuner,PAL/NTSC or SECAM compatible
    •Built in FM/AM tuner,OS: WIndows CE 5.0
    Warranty:One year
    car DVD player online store

linds

hi,nice to meet you

Noobinator

Just check the manual.If you have your owners manual it will tell you in there what oil to use for what temp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.