Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Parking lights on

Thread: Parking lights on

kristy

Default Parking lights on

Hi, just bought a 2000 legacy L yesterday! It only had 53k miles (an old lady had it). My parking lights stay on when I am driving and YES, I did find the switch on top of the steering wheel. Even with that off they still stay on. Are they supposed to or do I have an electrical issue? Any help for a newbie?!

Your parking lights will stay on with that car, but they should turn off when you turn the key off. As long as they turn off with the key off then you have no problems and everything is normal. If they don't turn off, and glad to hear you know about the switch on the steering column as lots of people don't, when you turn the ignition off then you may have a problem. Let me know.

kristy

Sometimes the lights are on and sometimes off. I need to replace the alternator cuz the battery is freaking out and lights flicker everywhere! I think it will work out though.

Quote Originally Posted by kristy View Post
    Sometimes the lights are on and sometimes off. I need to replace the alternator cuz the battery is freaking out and lights flicker everywhere! I think it will work out though.
    Sounds more like a frayed wire in the electrical harness somewhere that's intermittently shorting. Was any work done on the car recently or are these just daytime running lights?
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

One quick way to check the alternator is to start the car and remove the battery cables. If the car dies than your alternator is bad but if it stays running than I think you may have some other problems like scorpion mentioned. It could be your battery is bad too though so have that checked out as well just to be safe.