Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

99 Legacy Overheating help

Thread: 99 Legacy Overheating help

steve-o

Default 99 Legacy Overheating help

I have a 99 GT 2.5 Legacy and recently had issues with overheating. Luckily both times when the temp gauge reach the dangerzone I was able to cool the car down.

Here is what is going. Wondering if anyone has any advice on what issue is and what the cost of repair should be.

-After driving on the highway for 2 hours, I hit traffic and was stop and go for 10-15 minutes. During that period, my temp gauge increases to the dangerzone and had to pull off the road to cool down. I blasted the heater and it did not seem to help much. The coolant seemed a little low as I added about a half of bottle of water. The temp gauge was fine during the trip and no signs of problems. The car only started overheating when I was in stop and go traffic. I never experience this issue though on a daily basis when driving around the city, it seems only after highway driving then stop and go traffic.

The cooling fan did not appear to be running when I pulled off the road. I suspect this is the problem. What is the cost to replace that sucker? I am looking to ditch the car in 2-3 months.

Also I have not had my coolant system flushed in two years? Should I have this done now?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    The cooling fan did not appear to be running when I pulled off the road. I suspect this is the problem. What is the cost to replace that sucker? I am looking to ditch the car in 2-3 months.

Also I have not had my coolant system flushed in two years? Should I have this done now?
    Check the temp switch that turns ON the cooling fans first. The fact that it stays at an okay temp while driving and then overheats in stop-n'-go means that the switch isn't kicking on the fan when it should.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

I agree with scorpion, make sure your cooling fans are coming on, if not try rigging up a jumper wire to the fan, and put 12 volts to it and see if it comes on then and make sure you have a good ground too, if it does than check your fan relays, the fans get the signal to come on from the ecm through those relays. If they don't come up with the 12v than your fans are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rutech View Post
    I agree with scorpion, make sure your cooling fans are coming on, if not try rigging up a jumper wire to the fan, and put 12 volts to it and see if it comes on then and make sure you have a good ground too, if it does than check your fan relays, the fans get the signal to come on from the ecm through those relays. If they don't come up with the 12v than your fans are bad.
    It's good to have you back aboard with us.
    Retired USN
    94 Subaru Legacy L (RIP); 09 Subaru Forester; 98 Ford Contour GL+; 97 Dodge Ram 1500

thanks scorpion, I apreciate that. I was slacking on my internet stuff for awhile there. Its good to be back on and learning stuff.